First Metheglin idea, opinions and suggestions welcome and wanted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewingMedic

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made, thought about or know anyone that has tried to make a mead, or rather a metheglin with ingredients like green anise, Artemisia absinthium, fennel seed etc....flavors of absinthe?

I know alot of the herbs (more than just what is listed above) are pretty over powering so it would take some careful additions to keep it balanced

I'm thinking maybe go dry or even slightly sweet to mimick the effects of the sugar cube method of drinking absinthe (no not the hyped up movie light the soaked sugar cube on fire version that kills the taste of real absinthe)

also any suggestions on the honey to use, I think orange blossom may be too much citrus, so maybe a clover or even wildflower, I'm still learning about different honeys so any advice in this area is welcome.

I'll likely make a 3 gallon batch, it'll be my first metheglin

That doesn't kill the taste of real absinthe. Real absinthe taste like @$$ no matter what you do to it! :p

the stuff perceived as real absinthe does taste like a#$ because almost all of the commercially sold ones are just an excessive amount of the herbs and stuff steeped into vodka or grain alcohol with green food coloring added, you can get kits on ebay and make the same stuff at home. Doesnt actually taste like absinthe. The burning sugar cube takes that bitter crap and adds burnt sugar to it, pretty colored flames leads to rotten sh!# in the stomach.

real absinthe isnt neon green its usually a milky green except the blanch with is milky or murky white, aged absinthe is ofthen a darker greenish to greenish brown and actually tastes quite nice if properly louched (another hint its fake commercial crap, the louche effect is none or minimal) with ice water, with or without the sugar.

which brings another question to mind, will a metheglin with essence of absinthe louche providing there is sufficient green anise and fennel even though it wont be distilled...would be a pleasant surprise

I have several varieties imported from Europe (before the absinthe ban was lifted in the US). They all taste like @$$.

I doubt there would be much louche, given the ABV of real absinthe is in the 50-75% range, and mead will be <20%.

Back