First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made my first batch of mead. 5 gal of a simple lemonade/orange blossom honey mead. 6 lbs orange blossom honey, 2 lbs corn sugar, 5 tbs fermaid K, 4 12 oz cans frozen lemonade concentrate, champagne yeast.

Amateur here, just wanted to give it a shot....and I always say, go big or go home.

Sent from my SC-02E using Home Brew mobile app

The ingredients

1391864148181.jpg

Waiting for the bubbles to start.

Sg after cooling was 1.114 so im hoping to get around a 14% abv in the end.

1391864203246.jpg

Wow that seems like a really high gravity for your ingredients. Impressive! I've got 12 lbs of Orange blossom just waiting to be made into Mead. Guess I've been hesitant to make it because I don't want to screw it up with such an expensive bill lol

Sent from my HTC One

Ill keep posting updates here. Literally just put it in the carboy a couple hours ago.

Sounds great. Glad it fermented easily for you and is going along. One of my favorite meads is a lemon mead. I highly suggest adding sorbate and Camden. Then back sweetening to about the 1.01 or higher range with additional honey. That really helps the lemon flavor.

I followed your advice and back sweetened with some honey at bottling yesterday. Got great numbers......about 14.5% alcohol by vol. Just waiting a couple of weeks for it to clarify now.

Lemon meads are pretty fun. Glad you are liking it. Clearing can be difficult some times. A couple months ago I started several gallon batches. Out of that I have two traditionals and a pyment that cleared brilliantly by themselves but my lemon meads are still a bit hazy. I threw them in the fridge since I am impatient. After two days in the fridge they already have a noticeable improvement.

Back