First mead SNA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMZippo

Reaction score
I have started my first mead and wanted to double check and see if I am using enough yeast nutrients.

18 pounds of wildflower honey raw and unfiltered
Water up to about 5.5 gallons

SG was 27.2 brix

Pitched 3 packets of lalvin 71b
I did not make a starter but did do a single step feeding and used about 5 grams of go ferm

Fermenting at 67 deg

I just degassed after 24 hours and added 1/2 tsp of ferm k and 1/2 tsp of dap

I am planning on doing the same tomorrow and at the 1/3 sugar break
My end goal is to split this up into a few different smaller batches and try different additives.

I wanted to double check that I am at least in the ball park for my SNA as it seems many people have differing ideas on the amount that should be used.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That is a high gravity for 71b so going high on the nutrient is always ideal. 71b probably will not ferment that totally dry and leave you some sweetness. At minimum I would go 7.5 tsp total nutrient with the ratio being 2 part DAP and 1 part Fermaid K. To make things easier for SNA I would add an additional 1/2 tsp of DAP to the mix. At yeast pitch I would add 3 tsp of the mix. Then after a couple days add 2.5 tsp of the mix and at about the half way mark of fermentation add the last 2.5 tsp of the mix.

The go-ferm is not included in these nutrients. That is in addition to the above. So if I were you I would mix up some nutrient/Fermaid K in the above ratio and add another 2 tsp now and then the 2.5 at the 1/3 and the last 2.5 at the 1/2 sugar break.

Back