First mead slow fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I attempted my first mead 6 weeks ago and even though I thought I did it by the book, It still appears to be fermenting. I read of people having meads finished in 2-3 weeks when done correctly.

I used approx 8kg (17.6 Ibs) to get 7 gallons of mead with a OG of 1.110.
Pitched 2 pkts of D-47, oxygenated with O2, used just over 1 Oz of Fermaid O and degassed over the first few days.
Now after 6 weeks the gravity is at 1.016 and it's still bubbling.
Taste good though which surprised me as from what I've read they can taste pretty ropey till after 6 months.

Possible problems: I never did any pH adjustments, I didn't use Goferm to start the yeast, and maybe I should have degassed more vigorously.

Any thoughts?

Did you also use a staggered yeast nutrient schedule? Honey fermentation requires nitrogen that is not naturally present in honey. For a good, quick fermentation, you're usually going to need to add a nutrient/energizer mix every other day for the first week or so to get it to chew through in that short a time.

I think your on the right track and as long as it is still fermenting I would let it go. Yes Primary can be done in 3-4 weeks or so but took a long time to age out. I had a D47 show Mead @ 60 - 62 Deg F go nearly 3 months before the SG stopped at 0.998). There are a number of things that can slow the ferment but with D47 the slower the better.

I think you were pretty close with your SNA approach and In my Humble Opinion for virtually any yeast SNA is the way to go. I do the following: Nutrient additions at 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks. I also aerate 2x's a day until 1/3 sugar break and degass CO2 1x a day to 2/3 break. I do get my yeast started for 48 to 72 hours prior to pitching 12 oz to 6 Cups water and ~1 tsp Energizer (Makes them happy and they multiply a lot. It really jump starts the ferment.)

Thanks for the reassurance. I can stop worrying and let it ride. I think I should have degassed a bit more often and maybe avoided using such a big airlock. I heard someone recently say on a podcast that they shake their meads vigorously for the first 4 days to get out the Co2.

Another question: Should a mead that is taking so long to ferment be transfered to a secondary while their is some activity? The beer brewer in me is stressing about it being on the yeast cake too long.

If there is 1/4" or more of lees in your carboy, rack to another. Continue doing this until there are no more lees.

I now degass my meads/wines daily (sometimes twice per day) for the first week. There will still be some residual CO2 that will escape even in secondary until it is clear.

Latest posts

Back