First Mead - Nutrient Addition Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
I've got my first mead fermenting. My plans were to add nutrients like this, from what I've read.

3/4 tsp nutrient @ pitching time
3/4 tsp nutrient 24 hours after fermentation starts
3/4 tsp nutrient 48 hours after fermentation starts
3/4 tsp @ 30% sugar depletion

Well I haven't checked my gravity since Wednesday, and now I am at 50% sugar depletion. Should I still make the final nutrient addition?

Nice. It took me a week before I got to 50%. Im not worried though. I did more than I think I should have done. With aerating adding nutrient/energizer for the first 3-4 days.

Nice. It took me a week before I got to 50%. Im not worried though. I did more than I think I should have done. With aerating adding nutrient/energizer for the first 3-4 days.
No. That is the usual recommendation i.e. that whatever you decide to do in respect of the break down of the total nutrient additions regime, it's still considered appropriate to aerate at least once daily until you hit the 1/3rd sugar break - equally, there are those who will aerate for longer, down to the 1/2 sugar break, but whether that's actually necessary is a different point.

If you did the calculation for the nutrients, working out how much nitrogen your additions are supplying, then broke it down into portions, well there is also the academic paper floating around the web that explains about adding a maximum of up to 85% of the total, with the rest as small increments to consider.

I suppose that because (from memory) the paper said "up to 85%", then less and larger, later additions, should still be Ok......

The problem comes from not knowing just how quickly it will take a given recipe to get to the 1/3rd point. The addition/use of fruit elements does indeed, seem to add elements that can speed up the fermentation considerably, so that even if you've worked out the amount of nutrients/nitrogen required for a given, calculated strength/%ABV, that those extra bits in the must that are speeding it along, might cause you to re-evaluate how many increments and how large they are, and of course, when you actually do add them.

Which is why I'm thinking that Fordzilla's scheme is a bit too balanced. that maybe it should have been more like 2 tsp after lag, then 1 tsp later on, maybe broken down into 2 doses, if it hadn't been for the speed of early ferment.......

Back