First Mead - A question or three

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckertonrr

Reaction score
Just racked to secondary my first mead, a Midwest dry mead kit, used Red Star pasteur champagne yeast.

Just a few mead newbie questions -

- The directions say to let it sit in secondary for 3 -4 months. What would happen if I bottled it after, say, a month or two, and let it sit in the bottles for a few months, instead of following the directions?

I've noticed a few people rack their mead several times. I don't plan on adding any fruit to this. This being my first mead, I just want to keep it simple for now. Advantages/disadvantages to racking several times?

Also, if I want sparkling mead, is it ok to put a teaspoon or two of honey instead of the corn sugar mixture that came with it?

THanks!

The mead will probably be mostly fermented after a few weeks, leaving the mead for a few months simply improves the flavour and helps it to clear up. Adding wine finings is an alternative to racking and letting it settle. Adding 1 pound of honey per gallon of mead will carbonate it sufficiently, but I recommend using less if the mead is sweet since that could be too carbonated. Only carbonate your mead if you are using Champagne, Beer or Plastic bottles since wine bottles will explode!

The mead will probably be mostly fermented after a few weeks, leaving the mead for a few months simply improves the flavour and helps it to clear up. Adding wine finings is an alternative to racking and letting it settle. Adding 1 pound of honey per gallon of mead will carbonate it sufficiently, but I recommend using less if the mead is sweet since that could be too carbonated. Only carbonate your mead if you are using Champagne, Beer or Plastic bottles since wine bottles will explode!

Thanks. I was planning on using 22 oz beer bottles with standard caps.

There's really no need to rack more than once. When your hydrometer says it's finished fermenting rack to secondary and bottle when it's clear. No way to predict how long that'll take.

Clear is a relative term with honey. I have had batches that I was positive it was crystal clear. Put into bottles and came back a month later to still see some sediment at the bottom. Muttliple racking and aging before bottling 3+ months helps to reduce that. Just depends on how clear you want it and how much of a stickler you are for clarity.

Back