First Mead 1 Gal. Vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboots

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first mead and I'd like to add vanilla bean to the secondary but don't want to drowned out the honey. Any thoughts on how many to enter?

1 Gal carboy
3 lbs of clover honey (corrected, said 5lbs)
1 packet of Lalvin K1v-1116
handful of raisins
water to 1 gal

Very much agree with Maylar. Five pounds of honey is an enormous amount. If - and that is a HUGE if - the yeast can thrive in that concentration of sugar the potential ABV is about 23%.. That is rocket fuel. IF , IF you really want to use the 5 lbs of honey for the flavor that so much honey will provide then you may need to step feed the honey (that is to say you begin with say 3 lbs of honey and then when the gravity of that must has fallen close to 1.000 you add another 1/2 lb and if the yeast can work their way through that you add another 1/2 lb repeating this process until the gravity ceases to drop). By adding 1/2lb of honey at a time as the gravity approaches 1.000 you are then in fact working with the yeast to control (up to a point) the sweetness your mead will finish at.

But a question: have you thought about this first mead in terms of what you hope it will be like when you bottle this? How sweet (or dry) is this mead to be? How much alcohol is it to contain? Is this to be a mead that you sip after a meal or while you are dining or is this to be a drink that you quaff after a hard day's work? You say you don't want to overpower the honey flavor but what flavor are you wanting from the honey? Clover honey (IMO) is more a vehicle for carrying other flavors than a flavor you aim for itself (others may strongly disagree). Tupelo, orange blossom, sourwood, raspberry, meadowfoam - those varietals are flavors you may want to highlight.

Hi, this is my first mead and I'd like to add vanilla bean to the secondary but don't want to drowned out the honey. Any thoughts on how many to enter?

1 Gal carboy
5 lbs of clover honey
1 packet of Lalvin K1v-1116
handful of raisins
water to 1 gal

5 lbs is good for two gallons of semi sweet mead. 3 lbs give u a sweet mead why not cut it in half and run two seperate gallon batches. 2.5 lbs each. oone vanilla and one with cinnamon sticks.

Yup... Assume that 1lb of honey dissolved to make 1 gallon of must will raise the gravity of the water to 1.035 then 3 lbs dissolved to make 1 gallon will raise the gravity to 1.105. if you convert starting gravity (1.105) to potential ABV by multiplying the SG by 131 (a good rule of thumb - easy to use and accurate enough) then this will have a potential ABV of 13.7%

I followed a basic recipe off youtube. I have tried semi-sweet and sweet store bought meads (the only ones readily available in my area), i liked those. My understanding is that the yeast will die at 18% since that's the tolerance. This should leave it sweet. Unfortunately I did not take a starting gravity. I only used clover because of the ease for purchasing and to see if I would like a home brew mead.

5 lbs is good for two gallons of semi sweet mead. 3 lbs give u a sweet mead why not cut it in half and run two seperate gallon batches. 2.5 lbs each. oone vanilla and one with cinnamon sticks.

Nice suggestion,I can split the gal into 2 1 gallon carboys and fill to 1 gallon with water for secondary fermentation.

I followed a basic recipe off youtube. I have tried semi-sweet and sweet store bought meads (the only ones readily available in my area), i liked those. My understanding is that the yeast will die at 18% since that's the tolerance. This should leave it sweet. Unfortunately I did not take a starting gravity. I only used clover because of the ease for purchasing and to see if I would like a home brew mead.

I dont think the lavilin you are using goes to 18abv. More like 14 tops. I use lavlin ec1118 is e only lavlin that comes to mind that can tolerate 18abv.

I dont think the lavilin you are using goes to 18abv. More like 14 tops. I use lavlin ec1118 is e only lavlin that comes to mind that can tolerate 18abv.

On the pack 18% tolerance so I'll find out when my 5 gal brew is done, got the OG on that.

My first batch I used 5lbs of Snowberry and it was so sweet it was almost undrinkable. It was more of something you'd pour over ice cream.

Latest posts

Back