first maibock, how sensitive to a temperature spike?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutus09

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Recently brewed my first maibock and it is currently sitting in my fermentation chamber.

I pitched the yeast (s-23) last Monday, so one week ago. I've been keeping the temperature at 50-51F, except I was gone for the weekend and the temp spiked to 61F. It was most likely gradually creeping up to that temp over a 24 hour period. How much would this day above desired temp affect the finished product?

Any input is appreciated as I mentioned this is my first time brewing this style.

So for 5 days it was at the desired temp? Chances are you're just fine as the better part of the fermentation was probably done, if you have gravity readings to confirm this you'll be fine. If i'd have to guess you did a D-rest, which never really hurts, but you can skip it if diacetyl isn't tasted. So id have to guess your fine and continue as planned.
Think of first few days as the most important, it's where your yeast is the most active, eating sugar, multiplying and all sorts of other yeasty goodness to achieve the flavor we want. This is less true towards the end where the yeast is eating their byproducts and longer sugar molecules, basically cleaning up after themselves and eating the last bit of food.

You basically did a Diacetyl rest by accident; nice work! While this step isn't always necessary, I find it really helps the yeast fully attenuate. If you're at final gravity just start cooling it off a few degrees per day til resting (lagering) at 33...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the information guys. I figured this was the case and wouldn't have been concerned at all if it were an ale. Just not that all familiar with the rates of primary fermentation with lagers.

Cheers.

Back