First Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew my second batch ever tomorrow after work. It's a clone of Pete's Wicked Ale from Ausin Home Brewing. The kit I have includes liquid yeast. My first batch used dry yeast. What do I need to do differently? The instructions I received with the kit are to bring the liquid yeast (White Labs British Ale Yeast) to room temperature for up to 24 hours before use, shake vigorously, aerate the cooled wort, pitch the yeast. Should I make a yeast starter? If so, how? Also, I got the yeast fuel. I'm not sure if this will make a big difference, but the instructions say to use that in the boil. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Get a yeast starter going tonight if you have some extract or corn sugar to spare. Extract is preferable. Use about 2 oz of extract to a pint of water. Bring it to a boil, cool it to 70-80 degrees, pour it (splash a bit to aerate) into a sterile jar, and add the yeast. Cover with aluminum foil for the night.

Yuri_Rage said:
Get a yeast starter going tonight if you have some extract or corn sugar to spare. Extract is preferable. Use about 2 oz of extract to a pint of water. Bring it to a boil, cool it to 70-80 degrees, pour it (splash a bit to aerate) into a sterile jar, and add the yeast. Cover with aluminum foil for the night.

Thanks, Yuri. I don't have any extract besides what came with the kit, so I suppose I'll just follow the instructions that came with the yeast. Fermentation may be a bit slower, but I'm also using yeast fuel, so maybe that'll help. I can see that I should probably get some extra DME or LME just for yeast starters. Is this what most folks do?

Yup. I've been AG brewing for about a year now, and I still keep DME around for making starters.

Brewsmith said:
Yup. I've been AG brewing for about a year now, and I still keep DME around for making starters.

I imagine I'll get some just for that. I brewed this batch and just followed the instructions that were on the vial for pitching. So, my Pete's Wicked Ale clone (from AHB) is in the fermentor. This was also my first experience with yeast fuel, the added 1% alcohol boost, Whirlfloc, and using a re-useable nylon bag for hopping.
One more question, for those who use these nylon bags...how do you clean them? I sprayed the heck out of it with the sprayer in the kitchen sink with hot water, but I'm thinking there are still traces of hops in there. Suggestions?

LouisianaVince said:
Thanks, Yuri. I don't have any extract besides what came with the kit, so I suppose I'll just follow the instructions that came with the yeast. Fermentation may be a bit slower, but I'm also using yeast fuel, so maybe that'll help. I can see that I should probably get some extra DME or LME just for yeast starters. Is this what most folks do?

I bought a 3lb bag of DME that I plan on using exclusively for starters and priming. I was really intimidated by the starter concept until I did it; it was really pretty easy, and I plan on using liquid yeast and starters most of the time from now on.

I bought a 2 or 3 pound bag of light DME for starters, too. I make a wort from 150 grams of DME mixed with 1.5 liters of water, and boil it for 20 to 30 minutes. Then I cool it and pitch my yeast, flame the neck, cover with flamed foil, agitate vigorously, and let it sit. I do this about 18 hours before brewing,

I'm going to try letting it ferment out completely next time. I think I'll use this stir plate method as soon as I get a stir plate. I'd try this triple fermentation non-stir method, but it sounds like a lot of work, so I'll probably just do it the way I've been doing it until I get that stir-plate, only let it ferment out completely.

beer4breakfast said:
I bought a 2 or 3 pound bag of light DME for starters, too. I make a wort from 150 grams of DME mixed with 1.5 liters of water, and boil it for 20 to 30 minutes. Then I cool it and pitch my yeast, flame the neck, cover with flamed foil, agitate vigorously, and let it sit. I do this about 18 hours before brewing,

I'm going to try letting it ferment out completely next time. I think I'll use this stir plate method as soon as I get a stir plate. I'd try this triple fermentation non-stir method, but it sounds like a lot of work, so I'll probably just do it the way I've been doing it until I get that stir-plate, only let it ferment out completely.

Hey, Breaux. That whole stir plate thing is definitely interesting. There are so many different ways to get things done, it seems! Thanks for the Pete's kit, all the extra goodies, AND for your online and/or phone help with both batches. It was the perfect b-day gift, and it's all very much appreciated!

A starter is good but you will be fine pitching the vial. There is supposed to be enough active yeast in there for a healthy fermentation.
Be sure to aerate the wort as good as you can. If you don't have 02 and an aeration stone, splash the wort as you add it to the fermenter. If you have a carboy, fill it with your wort, seal it with a stopper, and then shake the dickens out of it. The better you aerate the faster the yeast will take off.
:mug:

I have only used liquid yeast in my home brewing. And i've created a starter once. Didn't notice much of a difference when i did. I've used both Wyeast and White Labs. I have any no problems with the fermintaion.

Happy home brewing.

I have very active fermentaion. I'm not sure when it started. When I left for work (5:40 a.m.) it had only been about 10 hours, and there were no bubbles yet. When I got home (19 hours after pitching), I checked it to find large bubbles in rapid progression. Too cool. I don't think my Am. Pale Ale bubbled quite this much at any point. Now I really wish I used carboys. It would be fun to be able to see the action. Anyway, so far, it's off to a good start!

Back