First Lagered Beer slow to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beansnbrews

Reaction score
First time post!!

So I just bottled up my first lagered beer ever, an oktoberfest. I primed with my normal amount of sugar and after 2 weeks, the 2 bottles I've opened have a little bit of carbonation, but not much. They were totally flat in just a few minutes. (However even for being flat, they tasted pretty darn good)

Currently they're residing in a coat closet on my first floor around 65-66 degrees and there is also definitely a nice layer of yeast on the bottle bottoms of both that I opened. Should I just sit back, relax and give it another 2 weeks or so?

If these boys never really carbonate and I want to drop in a grain of yeast, can I use any dried yeast I've got lying around from my LHBS? Or should I get something closer to a lager yeast like what I used for the primary?

Thanks for helping this newbie out!

I recently just brewed my first lager. At 2 weeks, they had almost no carbination. It took them right at 3 weeks in the bottles to carbonate. After four weeks, they were right where I wanted them. Give them more time!

I find that with lagers, since most of the yeast drops out of suspension during the month or longer lager stage at temps in low 30's, that it is beneficial to add fresh yeast to the bottling bucket so the priming sugar has something to eat! I keg now, but when I bottled, I would use a 1/2 pack or rehydrated dry yeast on bottling day.

Thanks for help guys. I kinda figured since it was starting to carbonate I should just sit tight and wait. Sadly 70 F is a bit out of reach for our house right now. Maybe in a month when this part of PA warms up a bit.

Back