First Lager Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing for six months now: 11 batches, all ales. I love this hobby! I'm an all-grain brewer, batch sparger, and I have a fermentation mini-fridge. I think I want to try my hand at a lager now. What is a good style choice for a first lager? I'm thinking about an altbier for a kolsch, or maybe even a Belgian (dubbel, tripel, or blonde). I'm willing to try any style though. What would be a good choice for a first time lagerer?

Altbier, kolsch, and the Belgian styles are all ales. They all share aspects of lagering, particularly the actual cold storage phase. But they are fermented warm.

I would suggest a Bohemian (Czech) Pilsner if you enjoy pale lager, and a Märzen for something a bit more caramel / toasty.

Do you have the ability to maintain fermentation in the 50-55 degree range? If not, a California Common is a great first style to try.

If you can maintain lager temperatures, then just choose your favorite style, lager recipes tend to not be very complicated.

If you like malt forward beers then a Vienna Lager, Octoberfest, or a Dunkel if you want very malty, are all good options. If you like pale lagers then a German Pils, Munich Helles, Festbier, Czech Pilsner, Mexican Lager, or even an American Lager are all good options - just depends on what you like.

What is your favorite lager beer, if you have a beer in mind that you really enjoy then just search for the recipe or ask about it and someone will provide you with all the info you need.

Lately I've beer heading to Total Wine and More for their huge selection of examples of styles. You can buy a bunch of Pilsner styles for example, frequently single bottles and cans. Gives you a real good opportunity to determine which styles you like, then do the research on recipes.

Back