First lager: Is this Doppelbock stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottatdrake

Reaction score
I brewed up an extract Doppelbock 13 days ago. The OG was 1.091. I pitched a 2 liter starter in the mid-70's and placed in a 55 degree freezer. It was bubbling away happily the next day. After 11 days, I brought it to room temp (68 degrees) for a diacetyl rest. Got a few more bubbles out of it then.

Last night, 2 days into the rest, I was planning on racking it to a carboy to lager. It has stopped bubbling. However, the gravity is only 1.032. My estimated FG is supposed to be 1.024. That's a long way to go! It tastes pretty sweet, too. (I couldn't taste any diacetyl but don't really trust myself to pick it out anyway.)

Should I rack it to secondary and drop to ~35 degrees? Should the gravity continue to drop during lagering? I'm afraid that if I take it off the trub and drop the temp dramatically, it will never make it to the FG.

Wow, that's really quick for a lager, you probably should have waited until about 1.035 to start your diacetyl rest, at this point I'd probably leave it at 65ish until your fg is close.

Depending on your yeast, dropping it to 35 will probably stop it but that's not the point, all fermentation should be complete prior to lagering, otherwise the yeast will be trying to ferment and creating more off flavors that lagering is supposed to condition out.

A good rule of thumb when creating a lager, if your going to do a diacetyl resy wait until the gravity is about 65% of terminal then raise appx. 10 degrees F. Then when its at terminal gravity you start lagering. Stop watching your airlock, all it tells you is that there is gas escaping (Or fluid being sucked in).

Brew on my friend.:mug:

Wow, that's really quick for a lager, you probably should have waited until about 1.035 to start your diacetyl rest...................
A good rule of thumb when creating a lager, if your going to do a diacetyl resy wait until the gravity is about 65% of terminal then raise appx. 10 degrees F. Then when its at terminal gravity you start lagering. Stop watching your airlock, all it tells you is that there is gas escaping (Or fluid being sucked in).

Brew on my friend.:mug:

I am a bit slow at maths. How did you calculate 1.035 based on 65%?

I am a bit slow at maths. How did you calculate 1.035 based on 65%?

Just a guess based on the length of fermentation, I didn't see the estimated FG of 1.024, 65% would be 1.043 (90-24 x 0.65 = 43). There is so much more that goes into lager brewing and without knowing all the particulars it's hard to make any real recomendations.:mug:

This was the extract kit from Midwest Supplies. (I've since done my first all-grain, which went quite well I think.)

More details, if it helps:
- Steeped 16 oz. Caramel 60L grain at 155 for 30 min.
- Brought to boil. Added 6 lb. Pilsen liquid malt extract, 3.3 lb. Munich liquid malt extract, 3.3 lb. Dark liquid malt extract
- Brought back to boil. Added 3 oz. Mt. Hood at 60 min, 1 oz. Hallertau pellet hops at 5 min.
- Then, followed the steps outlined in my original post. The starter was made by boiling 1/2 cup LME in in 2 liters of water in a flask, cooling to 65, pitching 1 packet of Wyeast Bavarian Lager, and setting in fridge at 55. Swirled whenever I walked by.

Here's the thing I don't get: The kit instructions just said to pitch the single Wyeast packet. I thought I'd be all fancy and make a 2 liter starter. But since then, I found Mr Malty's pitching calculator and it says that I needed 3 packets in a 4 liter starter! What gives?

This was the extract kit from Midwest Supplies. (I've since done my first all-grain, which went quite well I think.)

More details, if it helps:
- Steeped 16 oz. Caramel 60L grain at 155 for 30 min.
- Brought to boil. Added 6 lb. Pilsen liquid malt extract, 3.3 lb. Munich liquid malt extract, 3.3 lb. Dark liquid malt extract
- Brought back to boil. Added 3 oz. Mt. Hood at 60 min, 1 oz. Hallertau pellet hops at 5 min.
- Then, followed the steps outlined in my original post. The starter was made by boiling 1/2 cup LME in in 2 liters of water in a flask, cooling to 65, pitching 1 packet of Wyeast Bavarian Lager, and setting in fridge at 55. Swirled whenever I walked by.

Here's the thing I don't get: The kit instructions just said to pitch the single Wyeast packet. I thought I'd be all fancy and make a 2 liter starter. But since then, I found Mr Malty's pitching calculator and it says that I needed 3 packets in a 4 liter starter! What gives?

mrmalty is correct. need a ton of yeast for lagers. 2L starter should get you there, although I'm not sure by 11 days.

i'm really not sure what to tell you. i'd either let it sit at 65 or cool it back down to 55. check again in a week and if the gravity hasn't changed, rack it.

If the gravity is still dropping I would keep it at 65ish until gravity stops. If it's not dropping you may try swirling it some and see if getting the yeast in suspension will get it going, dropping back to 55 isn't going to do it.

Latest posts

Back