First Lager - is it time for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mprice

Reaction score
I started a a Mexican Vienna lager 5 days ago. OG was 1.052 and FG estimate is 1.013
I pitched the yeast at 52 degrees. Its been fermenting at steady 52 degrees for 5 days. I just checked my gravity and it was lower than I expected at 1.016. The krausen was as much as a couple inches but when I opened the bucket it is dropped to about 1/4 inch layer now. So from what Ive gathered from my reading , now is the time I should be bumping up the temp for a couple days for the D-rest and then lowering down to the 30's for a good month or so.

From everything I have read, I was expecting primary fermetation to take a couple weeks, but its only been 5 days and it looks like its time to start DRest and secondary already??

Before I start D-Rest and secondary temps, I want a reality check with some experienced lager brewers make sure I got this right. Because I was not expecting to start that after 5 days.... Or should I wait a little longer?

After about 10-14 days at 50 degrees I'll crank it up to about 60 degrees for a week. Then I'll crash it to 35 degrees for a couple days or whenever I get the time to transfer for lagering.

Back