First lager, from 1.050 to 1.020 6 days later, is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed a 100% pilsner lager (2 oz saaz hops) with a starting gravity of 1.059 using WLP 830 (German lager yeast). Been fermenting at 50 f. That was 6 days ago (last Sunday). Gravity is at 1.020 now, but I'm not seeing any more bubbles in the airlock so I'm worried that fermentation has stalled.

I usually wouldn't worry about it, but my starter was kinda screwed up. I made one half (2l) the week before, then couldn't brew, so I put it in the fridge, decanted a few days later, and then made the other 2 litres.

Should I just chill out and wait a bit longer or should I do something?

Kick up the temp now to mid 60s. Partially for a Drest, partially to get a couple more points. The yeast don't know when 75% attenuation is, so for me I raise the temp when things start to slow down (which is usually 4-7 days).

You’re good. Lagers at that temp will take longer than an ale in the 60s. I’ve had them keep working for close to two weeks. I’m no expert, but I wait until the krausen falls to raise the temp. I don’t think that’s by the book.

Back