First lager: fermentation temp questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa6

Reaction score
My first ale is finishing up fermentation, and I'm anxious to get a lager (extract) going. I picked up the BB Vienna Lager kit, and have a second fridge in the garage, but the freezer side is full of food, so I can't use a thermostat control that would shut the unit on/off.

The warmest the fridge side will go is low 40s, which I'm afraid is too cold to get fermentation started. The kit uses Brewferm Lager yeast, and the instructions call for 10-14 days of primary fermentation at 53-59 degrees.

Do I have any options here? Is there another yeast I can substitute that will do better at the fridge temp of about 41 degrees? I think the overnight temp in the garage is going to be in the mid 50's next week or so. Could I brew late in the day and put the fermenting bucket in the garage (not the fridge) overnight to get it started for about 12 hours, then move to the fridge (or a larger bucket with cold water in the garage to keep the temp from getting too warm during the day)?

Thanks.

you can't really ferment anything at 41F. I would recommend filling a tub with water and ice packs and fermenting in the garage. You're aiming for low 50s, mid 50s is okay too.

Okay, issue resolved. Consolidated everything worth saving into the kitchen fridge, and now the garage fridge is ready to go. Sprang for the JC digital thermostat controller from Amazon.

Question on fermentation schedule for the Vienna Lager I'll be making. The BB instructions call for primary for 10-14 days at 53-59 degrees. Then moving to a carboy for secondary, dropping temp 1-3 degrees per day until it's at 35-42 degrees. Then lager at this temp for 3-4 weeks.

There's nothing in the instructions about a diacetyl rest. Should I give it one before going to secondary? If so, what temp and for how long. Any other changes I should consider in the fermentation schedule?

You need not do the drop to lagering temps 1-3*F per day if fermentation is complete. That has its roots in an old German brewing practice in which that gradual cooling was done as fermentation was ending and the yeast still active. I regularly cold crash lagers in the primary by moving them from a controlled 64*F to a 35*F lagering chamber. It has never caused any sort of problem.

If your kit came with just one pack of dry yeast, get another and rehydrate before pitching. Lager pitch rates are twice that of ales. Pitch into well-aerated/oxygenated wort that's been chilled a few degrees below your target ferment temp.

D-rest at 64-65*F once the gravity reaches 75-80% of the way from OG to expected FG. Let it finish to stable FG at that temp

Okay, issue resolved. Consolidated everything worth saving into the kitchen fridge, and now the garage fridge is ready to go. Sprang for the JC digital thermostat controller from Amazon.

Question on fermentation schedule for the Vienna Lager I'll be making. The BB instructions call for primary for 10-14 days at 53-59 degrees. Then moving to a carboy for secondary, dropping temp 1-3 degrees per day until it's at 35-42 degrees. Then lager at this temp for 3-4 weeks.

There's nothing in the instructions about a diacetyl rest. Should I give it one before going to secondary? If so, what temp and for how long. Any other changes I should consider in the fermentation schedule?

congrats on the JC thermostat....welcome to the club! having the complete control the digital thermostat gives is so awesome.

good luck with your lagers....remember: plenty of yeast, plenty of oxygen, and plenty of nutrients...they are much less forgiving than ales.

Back