First Lager - 34/70 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draken

Reaction score
I am brewing a Märzen, my first lager. After some research I chose 34/70 to do the sugar munching. I plan to do a more traditional schedule
1) ferment at 53 for 5-7 days
2) bump the temp slowly to 57 about 1 degree every other day
3) wait for 75% attenuation then march it up to 65 by bumping it a degree every 12 hrs.
4) hold there till 21 days post pitch or 5 days whichever comes last
5) Lager for some yet to be determined length of time...

So the question is around step 3, when should I start checking the gravity? It's 5 gallons, pitched two rehydrated packs at 53 degrees.

I don't check until end of week 3. My schedule is 50F for 2 wks, 60F for 1 wk. Your schedule will work fine, but my point is that you probably don't need to check at all until you think it's completely done.

I have clear fermentors and I always check to make sure the krausen kicked off in expected time (within 3 days, usually shorter, for lagers). If I don't see that, I pitch more yeast. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened, and I don't hesitate to pitch more. I don't think I've ever had a failed lager.

I have used 34/70 a lot brewing a light Lager for my father in law. I have brewed this beer 7 times and the fermentation is usually done in 10 to 13 days.

This is not going to answer your question but I usually start to raise the temperature when the krausen starts to fall. Looking at my notes this is usually around Day 5 or 6. I'm guessing this is probably past the 75% attenuation mark.

I usually ferment at 55 so your a few degrees cooler than what I do so your fermentation will be a little slower.

If you really want to know when you are at 75% attenuation, I would start checking gravity at day 3 or 4.

I also, usually pitch two packs of rehydrated yeast.

I've used 34/70 a ton and it's a great yeast.

I went from the coldest recommended range and higher and I noticed no difference in attenuation or flavor profile.

All I do is pitch rehydrated at 57 and let it rise to 59 where it will ferment until it's nearly once. Once bubbling slows down I start increasing 4 degrees a day till 67.

Back