First iipa lill help plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
Eff 70%
13# 2row
2# wheat
1# crystal 40
1# sugar 15min

Fwh 1oz galaxy 1oz citra
1tbs dap 15min
1tsp irish moss 15min
5 min
1oz citra
1 centenail
1galaxy
Whirlpool at 180*
1 citra
2 centenial
2 galaxy
Dry hop
1 oz of each
Citra
Centenail
Galaxy

Any thoughts advice ir pointers would be great.

I would double the dry hop in a double IPA. Also not sure I would fwh in a double. I'd personally go for a straight bittering charge. Looks good! When are you adding the sugar?

That looks tasty. Without plugging in numbers...If I were you I would be sure that you are getting enough IBUs in the boil, looks like it might be too sweet (unbalanced). Personally, I would do 3oz of a good 15% AA in the boil for 90 minutes.

1. Boil length? (90 min.?)
2. Mash temp? (149*?)

And maybe consider doing a 2 week dry hop. 1oz each for 7 days, then 1/4oz of each for 7 days.

But this is your recipe, not mine... Let us know what you did and how it turns out! Fun stuff!

I like it. But personally I wouldn't use any crystal malts. I've recently stopped using them in IPAs and think they're turning out better.

I would also sub out the FWH for something like Warrior and use that extra ounce of Citra and Galaxy for the dry hop. Warrior is cheap and gets the bittering done pretty easily.

Thats a good idea i maby even drop the fwh for a hop shot? Or a strong 60 min charge i was thinking maby no crystal maby sub munich or should i just leave it out. Mash was gonna be 75min at 150*

Ok let me adjust this

Eff 70%*
14# 2row
2# wheat
1# sugar 15min
60min 3oz Columbus
1tbs dap 15min
1tsp irish moss 15min
5 min*
1oz citra
1 centenail*
1galaxy
Whirlpool at 180*
1 citra
2 centenial
2 galaxy
Dry hop* 1oz each 4 days then 1oz each 6days
Citra*2
Centenail*2
Galaxy 2
Mash 150 75 min
Yeast conan

A little Munich never hurt an IPA. Maybe 10% at the most if you want a little more bready maltiness to it.

How big are you looking to go on the IBUs? The 3 oz addition of Columbus at 60 mins is going to get you ~120 IBUs alone

I would say if you wanna be up around 140-150 IBUs, use 3 oz at 60 mins, if you want to stay closer to 100 IBU, only use 2 oz at 60. I don't believe our palates can even taste the difference between 100 IBU and anything over that level. I don't remember the exact level of IBU that is our palates' threshold, but it's somewhere around 100-120, I wanna say.

I would probably save that 3rd oz of Columbus for bittering my next batch, or even throw it in at flameout or the dry hop instead of at 60. That's just me, tho

I didnt do the math 2 oz is better that would be 110 or so, give or take deoending in aa %. I'm woried the citra will over power the galaxy and centenail, should i cut it back to one oz on the dry hop just like the whirlpool?

Back