First homebrew! (PICS)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimstuff

Reaction score
Well, I am now the proud father of my first homebrew. I would smoke a cigar, but I'm drinking some awesome beer and that would ruin it.

It was a full boil extract + steeped grains recipe from Midwest (Irish Red), with tips from Palmer and people on this site. So thanks, everyone, for all the support. This is such a great hobby, made better by the magnanimous spirit of beer drinkers!

So anyway, I forgot to take an OG reading, but based on estimated OG of recipe and FG readings, ABV is probably around 4%. Perfect for summer afternoons.

Quite pleased with the color and clarity. I gave it 2.5 weeks in primary, then 3 weeks in bottles at room temperature. Added 75% of LME near end of boil, as Palmer suggests. Also added a cup of honey at 30 mins for the hell of it.

About 3/4 inch head, then dissipates to what you see above, with nice lingering froth swirls on top for duration of drink.

Damn good. Has a very substantial mouthfeel, creamy, full-bodied, all that good stuff.

In other news, I just racked my 2nd brew, Midwest's Imperial Stout, into secondary, as shown here:

After 3 weeks in primary.

Added Champagne yeast per kit instructions. Researched about efficacy, most say it won't do anything, but figured I would just do as the recipe says.

Nearly an inch of slurry. I kept scooping it up into my hands and squishing it between my fingers. Wanted to smear it all over my body, but the wife gave me the stink eye. I had about a half-gallon left over that wouldn't fit into the carboy, so I bottled some and drank some.

Latest posts

Back