First Homebrew - Dark Belgium Specialty Ale - Highlander Blood - One Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enlighten1self

Reaction score
Hello All!

This is my first post, here is the story. Turned 21 recently , and as a preference, I do not drink much alcohol, nothing stronger than wine for me!:tank: However, I found that I had a taste for Dark Belgium Strong Ales, just loved it. :mug: It was Monk's Blood by 21st Amendment brewery in San Francisco that I wanted to clone, as it is a seasonal variety and I did not stock up. :smack: I had never thought about brewing beer before, a couple of my roommates had done a batch before, one came out nutty, the other was a cloudy IPA (any tips?). So my roommate had the kit and I asked him to help me clone this beer. 21st amendment has the ingredients online, so I went to my local brew collective and the guy at the counter helped me build a recipe using an online calculator (I wanted at least an 8% beer). It was a partial mash/ dry malt extract, and I have the recipe still I think and can post it if anyone wants to take a look.

Everything seems to be going fine, however we did leave it in 1st and secondary for way longer than necessary as I was relying on my roommate to make the transfers with his equipment and he is a major LAGGER! :cross: So we made this beer sometime early November (i can find exact date if anyone is interested) and it has finally been bottled as of a few days ago. We tried it out and it was quite good, even flat! :rockin::rockin::rockin: and it was sooo red looking and dark, which is why I gave it the name Highlander Blood, also since it is a monk's blood clone. LOL :D

So my question, how long should I bottle this style beer for the best taste? What is your preference, based on past experiences?

Some more background, this was intended to be a Belgium Strong Dark Ale, but as I listed in the title, it seems to be more of a Dark Belgium Specialty Ale, as my roommate added an extra gallon of water at the beginning of the process, diluting the original recipe. :( Turns out, we got more beer but at 7 % vs 9-10% I was going for. I will definitely post an update when it is ready and I have sampled the final product. Thanks! :fro:

Hello, sorry for the late reply but here it is!!!

photo 1st brew.jpg

Huh, that really doesn't look very similar to the published info about the Monk's Blood beer. I'm glad it's tasty! Once you've bottled and primed, the beer should be ready to drink after three weeks at room temperature followed by a couple of days in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back