First home brew batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reece91

Reaction score
I've recently brewed my fist batch of larger bottled it and waited 2 weeks as recommended. After trying my beer there has not been much carbonation. Do I need to wait longer for this to improve or are there other ways to fix this. Any help would be appreciated as this is my first time.

We need some more info. Walk us through the steps you took bottling. What temperature did you ferment at and how much sugar did you use to bottle? What temperature have you been storing your bottles at?

The batch was fermented for 7 days at around 28degrees Celsius. I then sanitised and rinsed all bottles. The beer I brewed was a coopers home brew kit which provided priming drops and the kit recommend 1drop per 500ml bottle.

Can you post the recipe and steps? That's 69F which is way too hot for lager yeast, the beer will have a lot of "off flavors". Hopefully it was actually ale yeast.

Primary: Maibock, Helles (first partigyle batch)
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout
On tap: Orange Belgian IPA, Turbo IIPA
Bottled: Dwarven Gold Ale, La Fin Du Mond clone, Hefeweizen

I used a coopers kit with a larger malt extract and larger yeast. The malt extract and brew enhancer was mixed wit 2 litres of hot water then topped up with water to 23 litres of cold and warm water. The larger yeast was then added and fermented for 7days as recommended then bottled with the carbonation drops and left for 2weeks

The beer had no off tastes when sampled the level of carbonation was not as expected so not sure if it has been sampled too soon

I'm guessing Cooper's "lager" which actually uses ale yeast from what I've read?

Quick turn around time...

At what temp did you store the bottles? I've had bottles not carbed yet at 2 weeks stored at room temp (74*F).

Yeah sorry it's the spell checker. They are stored at room temperature around 18 Celsius.

18*C is a bit cool. That's certainly a part of your problem. Can you get it warmer? At that temp I'd guess 4 weeks might be minimum, but I'm not sure how it works for sure.

Do you have someplace 22-24*C?

I have typically been conditioning mine for 4 weeks at 23.3*C to ensure it's good, but 3 weeks is enough for carbonation.

The warmer it is the quicker it will be, though I'm not sure how warm gets to be too warm, or if there are issues (I think there are) with getting too warm per the amount of sugar you used (according to NB calculator temp changes things).

Thanks I've read websites that recommend 2 weeks but as this is my first attempt I wasn't sure how long to wait.

This is where having the pipeline comes in handy! Waiting isn't so rough as there's something else to drink!

It's also much better to give the beer longer than just a week. 3 is much better, though 2 is plenty with some styles. And some are better with 4.

The more complex the recipe and the higher the alcohol level, the more time it will need.

Back