First fruit secondary, how to sanitize puree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistFM

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I am brewing a nice summer peach beer. I added 1 lb of peach puree during flame out, and I am planning on adding more peach during secondary. I bought a 3 lb can of peach puree from the LHBS, and poured what was left into a sanitized tupperware container then put it in the freezer. My question, is would I have to pasturize the peach puree before adding to secondary or will the fact that I sanitized the tupperware container before pouring my sanitized peach puree into it be enough? If I need to sanitize my puree, how would I go about doing it? It's not chunky, but a pure liquid....

Thx in advanced.

Heating the fruit to above about 165F will cause the pectin to make a haze in your beer. You can treat the fermenter with pectic enzyme, which you can get at most LHBSes, to remove the haze.

About adding to the kettle, wouldn't adding it that early cut a lot of the sweetness you'd get from adding it to the fermenter?

About adding to the kettle, wouldn't adding it that early cut a lot of the sweetness you'd get from adding it to the fermenter?

Adding fruit doesn't add sweetness as the sugar ferments out (unless you're filtering first or something). I would think you would not get nearly as good flavor, though, adding it to the boil as opposed to post primary.

Adding fruit doesn't add sweetness as the sugar ferments out (unless you're filtering first or something). I would think you would not get nearly as good flavor, though, adding it to the boil as opposed to post primary.

That's actually what I meant to say. I said sweetness when I meant flavor. Oops!

Also by adding at flameout, that temp will cook your peaches to some degree. This will change the flavor. I find a big difference in flavor between cooked and fresh peaches.

There is a misnomer that by adding fruit at secondary and fermenting out you'll end up with a fruity sweet brew like you get in some commercial beers. The sugars ferment out and you may have a slightly peach flavor but not fruit sweet. If you want the hint of sweetness you could back sweeten at the end with a little lactose which is unfermentable. Check the archives on use of lactose sugar.
I learned this the hard way with raspberries. You end up with the tartness and just a hint of raspberry flavor, but certainly not the "yummy" flavor that some girlies love in their beer.

A lot of the breweries in Belgium will back sweeten after fermentation with artificial sweeteners like saccharine. These are very sweet and do not ferment.

Back