First Extract - Lotsa sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadrum

Reaction score
Hi all, racked my first extract to 2ndry last night - a belgian Ale (was sposed to be a Chimay but I killed my yeast starter :( )

Recipe was
ldme 2.3kg
black grain (crushed) 30g
soft dark brown sugar 400g
blended honey 250g
bittering hops hallertau 40g
bittering hops goldings 20g
(kit) dry ale yeast (found in my fridge)

When I strained the wort into the primary I used the missus' fine kitchen strainer, but last night there is still heaps of sediment floating around. Qn Should I have strained with something finer say a stocking? Should I have strained further before 2ndry? Will this settle in 2ndry if I leave for 2 weeks?

Anyways I'm hooked. The whole process was way more enjoyable that the past 6 or so kit and kilos Ive done...and the taste last night.......yum :fro: again beats the kits
nadrum

sediment will definitely settle as the ferment continues.
you will leave most behind in the primary when going to secondary and any left when you go to the bottling bucket.
welcome to the forum:mug:

Be as gentle as you can possibly be if you have to move your tank or carboy around prior to siphoning. This will minimize the sediment being stirred up when you rack from primary to seconbdary or bottling bucket.

Your sediment is normal. You don't even to strain the wort into primary at all.

If you're using a neutral dry yeast it likely won't taste much like a Belgian. Still looks like a good beer though. Looks more along the lines of an English ale with the brown sugar. yum!

Back