First ever recipe - Fat Santa Oatmeal Stout - Feedback appreciated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyanBrews

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My first ever recipe, inspired by existing recipes of course, and my first ever post on this forum. I have been reading a lot on this forum and thought it would be the perfect place to ask for some feedback from an awesome lot of home brewers. Alright here we go.

Fat Santa Oatmeal Stout

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Oatmeal Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.049
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 7.24%
IBU (tinseth): 26.9
SRM (morey): 42.36

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (24.5%)
3.5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (28.6%)
2.5 lb - Flaked Oats (20.4%)
0.5 lb - German - Wheat Malt (4.1%)
0.75 lb - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (6.1%)
0.75 lb - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (6.1%)
0.5 lb - United Kingdom - Chocolate (4.1%)
0.75 lb - American - Victory (6.1%)

HOPS:
2 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.25, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.9

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, BIAB

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tsp - Cinnamon, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

PRIMING:
Method: Table sugar
Amount: 3.3oz
CO2 Level: 2.0 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Leiden
Ca2: 42
Mg2: 8
Na: 48
Cl: 43
SO4: 42
HCO3: 146

I got several questions regarding this recipe:

- Will it be any good? I know it all depends on how I brew, but damn some members of this forum can just tell whether a recipe is going to be awesome or not! Respect for that too!

- I am not quite sure if I actually reach 75% efficiency, as this will be my second BIAB brew, after several extract brews. I didn't really measure my last brew's efficiency, it just turned out really good both taste and abv. wise. I did a fine double grind and 2 gallon sparge + squeeze. Will do the same again this time. Would you suggest backing down on the Maris Otter and bumping up the extract just to be sure? Or just have a shot at it?

- How dominant will the roasted barley and the victory be at this percentage of the grain bill?

That's about it. I hope any of you can give his or her two cents and confirm if this recipe is viable, and if not, how I can improve it!

Thanks alot in advance, you are an awesome community! :mug:

Just looking at your water profile and ingredients, this particular brew seems as if it will come in on the malty side. I'd increase the calcium salts moderately to bump up above 50-100. That would give you some room to bump up the hopping a bit, if desired, and assist with hop balance, mash pH and yeast health. As for the yeast, you have a gravity above 1.050, so you might want to re-hydrate the dry yeast and maybe keep TWO packs on hand as using one might be a slight under-pitch...but maybe that's what you want?
S0-5 under-pitched at certain temp ranges may give you some fruity byproducts. One yeast pack per 5 gallons of wort is usually OK because more yeast cells are added to account for loss of viability during storage.

Just looking at your water profile and ingredients, this particular brew seems as if it will come in on the malty side. I'd increase the calcium salts moderately to bump up above 50-100. That would give you some room to bump up the hopping a bit, if desired, and assist with hop balance, mash pH and yeast health. As for the yeast, you have a gravity above 1.050, so you might want to re-hydrate the dry yeast and maybe keep TWO packs on hand as using one might be a slight under-pitch...but maybe that's what you want?
S0-5 under-pitched at certain temp ranges may give you some fruity byproducts. One yeast pack per 5 gallons of wort is usually OK because more yeast cells are added to account for loss of viability during storage.

Thanks a lot for this information! I am planning on re-hydrating and pitching two packs. My choice for S-05 is because of the fruity byproducts, the other candidate was S-04, but I have decided that I am not aiming for a dry stout, as it is a Christmas special for family and friends. I am looking for a fatty kind of stout that has a little sweetness to it. Can't really do a milk stout, which is sweeter, because I am brewing with a buddy who doesn't really like the idea of putting lactose in a beer. I will pull him to that dark side one day!

Back