First ever bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven_BC

Reaction score
So I did my first ever bottling of my second batch, (my first is an IPA still in the fermenter) the blonde centennial extract recipe. I had just over 5 Gals and I added 4 oz of priming sugar. I had boiled this in 2 cups of water and added 2/3 to the bottling bucket to start and the last 1/3 about 2/3's of the fill.

I forgot to stir it after the transfer to the bottling bucket was finished. Am I likely to have bottle bombs out of this or because it was added in different phases it is likely to mix ok?

I've bottled lots of batches with no stirring in the bottling bucket - never had much difference in carbonation between bottles. But I always put all the priming solution in before siphoning. Maybe others have done it this way and can help more. If not, just keep the bottles somewhere safe, and where it won't make a mess (like in a plastic tote bin). And use some goggles, etc. when handling them. Don't assume they're safe when cold - I've seen accounts of cold bottles exploding when being opened (probably due to the added stress from the opener).

I’m assuming you had your siphon hose curled on the bottom of the bucket to minimize splashing. The natural swirling will mix it in ok. Especially with adding part at 2/3. You’ll be good to go. Wait 2 weeks and enjoy.
Cheers

Thanks yes I had the siphon curled thanks for the reassurance. I'll be careful with the bottles can't wait to crack them open though!

When bottling I always did it the same way:

1. heat and cool priming solution
2. add to bottom of sanitized bottling bucket
3. siphon beer quietly on top of the priming solution, coiling the end of the siphon tube once on the bottom of the bucket.
4. stir quietly with a sanitized spoon.
5. bottle as per Revvy dishwasher trick.

In know lots of people will flame me that stirring will oxidize the beer and make it taste like cardboard. When stirring I don't splash, and I've never had problems with oxidizing my beer.

Back