First Ever Batch - Stone IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlstarbuck

Reaction score
Hello all.

I've done a lot of lurking on here the last few days in an attempt to prepare myself for my first ever batch. I think I'm going to go with a PM recipe for Stone IPA, which is straight from Stone (Dec. 2008, Vol. 14, No. 8 issue of Brew Your Own). Thoughts, issues, concerns?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to the amount of Magnum and Perle hops that I need to use for the full boil. It shows 7 AAU of Magnum and has .5 oz/14 g of 14% alpha acids in parentheses underneath it. And 4.5 AAU of Perle, and .64 oz/18 g of 7% alpha acids. And I was thinking of using all pellets, even though it says to use whole Centennial and Chinook for dry hopping.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what part you're confused by; my first impression is that the amounts seem a bit low, unless you omitted the flavoring and aroma hops above. I wouldn't think ~1.25oz of hops would equate to Stone's IPA, although I guess depending on the amount of dry hops listed, it could get there.

Posting the full recipe would probably be helpful :).

I have brewed this recipe several times. I has turned out really well. I use all pellet. If the hops you are using have a higher/lower percentage than the alpha acid percentage in the recipe you'll have to adjust the amount you use.

Magnum -- .5oz x 14% alpha acid = 7AAU
If you Magnum was 10.8% alpha adid you would have to use .65oz
.65oz x 10.8% alpha acid = 7AAU
Perle -- .64oz x 7% alpha acid = 4.48AAU

Hope that helps.

Brad

Could you post the recipe?

I've done this one a couple times

5.0 lbs. light dme
1.0 lbs. light lme (late addition)
1.0 lb. 2-row
1.0 lb. crystal (15L)
.50 oz magnum (60 min)
.64 oz perle (60 min)
2.0 oz centenial (15 min)
1.0 oz centenial (dry hops)
.5 oz chinook (dry hops)
1 tsp. irish moss (15 min)
white labs wlp002 (english ale)yeast
1.5 L yeast starter

If you want an updated hop profile, Stone's website says Colombus (bittering) and Centennial (finishing) with Chinook as the dry hop. I did a Stone Sublimely Self Right. Ale clone earlier this year and attempted to copy their whirlpool finishing hop thing they do (steep their finishing hops in a whirlpool) which was add them at flame out, and then begin a whirlpool in the kettle for 10 minutes prior to chilling, and that beer has had the best aroma characteristic and hop flavor of any beer I've brewed. I'm sure they do the same thing with the Centennials for their IPA.

You answered my question about the hops perfectly.

Thanks!

- Sorry, this was meant to be directed to Rentachik

I'm not sure what part you're confused by; my first impression is that the amounts seem a bit low, unless you omitted the flavoring and aroma hops above. I wouldn't think ~1.25oz of hops would equate to Stone's IPA, although I guess depending on the amount of dry hops listed, it could get there.

Posting the full recipe would probably be helpful :).

Should have included this from the start:

http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/
:cross:

Cool avatar btw.

Back