first double IPA kegging time frame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony269

Reaction score
So I brewed my first double IPA on June 26th, now here is some background on the brew my OG came out to 1.110, I am making 3 dry hop additions, 1st with 15 days left, 1 with 10 days left and the last with 5 days left before kegging.

I guess my question is how long should I wait before I keg this bad boy, I have heard some people say you can keg it after 30 days but others say you should wait 65-75 days with a beer this big.

THANKS EVERYONE!

:rockin:

Any high ABV beer is going to benefit from aging. It will mellow out the fusels and make it much smoother. However, there's no point in dry hopping THEN aging for a couple months. The benefits of the dry hop will pretty much disappear in that time. Age it out for 30-45 days THEN dry hop in the keg! The majority of the AA from the dry hop will fade within 15-30 days, so you really need to save the dry hop until you are just about to drink the beer.

Good luck!

Any high ABV beer is going to benefit from aging. It will mellow out the fusels and make it much smoother. However, there's no point in dry hopping THEN aging for a couple months. The benefits of the dry hop will pretty much disappear in that time. Age it out for 30-45 days THEN dry hop in the keg! The majority of the AA from the dry hop will fade within 15-30 days, so you really need to save the dry hop until you are just about to drink the beer.

Good luck!

Thanks Topher, sounds like I was on the right track with what I was going to do to start with but I wanted to make sure, that is some good info on the dry hopping.

I want to dry hop in the keg, I think that will be the best plan of attack, I only have 2 kegs so I will just have to bottle on of my beers to dry hop with that bad boy.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Back