First Cyser - Easy Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLAAYHAUS

Reaction score
Sunday I started Schramm’s Cyser Recipe (my third mead) which is my first experience with fermenting an apple product. I used GoFerm, Fermaid K, and DAP and started seeing activity in 5 hours, no problem there even a large kraeusen a few hours after that.

Fall's Bounty Cyser - O.G. 1.108
10/3/10 Batch Size 5 gal
Yeast 10g Lalvin D-47
Orchard Honey 7.85 lbs.
4 gal Unpasteurized Cider (1.050 SG)
Dark Brown Sugar 1 lbs., Raisins 0.5 lbs., Chopped Dates 0.5 lbs.

The passage below is from Making Mead the Easy Way by Steve Piatz from the Mead Maker of the Year panel discussion.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4795/Mead_Maker_of_the_Year_Panel.pdf

“During the first days of fermentation it is helpful to ferment in a large
open top vessel like a plastic bucket with a lot of head space. At least
daily, you need to aggressively stir the must to drive out the CO2 and to
allow oxygen to be infused. You can do the stirring with a spoon but
be prepared for a lot of stirring, stir until bubbles are no longer released.”

1.) At what point do I cease my stirring before I chance oxidation? When I stop seeing a large kraeusen and the sulfur smell is all driven out, or all the way until I rack to my secondary?

2.) I have read that many of these cysers are harsh at first and round out after a year or so. Will it be very obvious if this turns to vinegar? I should know by the first racking if it’s bad right? Or could any harsh tastes that I notice early on mellow out in the long run?

Thanks!

I stir the first few days to drive off CO2 and help along fermentation but leave it after that so that when I transfer it I dont risk oxidation from the minor sloshing when it first hits the carboy.

Yes it would be very very obvious if it is turning into vinegar but if you are careful with sanitation I doubt you will have any problems. Also I can pretty much guarantee there will be harsh taste early on and it may seem awful but it will get better. I have found that at a particular point, generally 6 months or so, I can take a small sample and see the potential in the mead given more time to age. I have only had one so far that has been undrinkable and I have little faith in but that was due to my error.

So I should probably stop stirring after this evening? Tonight will be the 72 hour mark, and I don't think I will have 5 gallons of vinegar, just wanted to know when I could stop worrying about it.

Are you following SNA? If so, stir in the first 2 additions really well and the 3rd addition just give it 3-4 full circles with the paddle.

No I am not following the SNA, I added them all at innocuulation. I may try SNA in the future, but my last mead went very well with a single nutrient addition so I just repeated that method. I was wondering when the break point occurs between stirring to release CO2 and oxidizing the must. I am still getting a nice kreausen within minutes of stirring it to release CO2.

Back