First Creative Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyr98625

Reaction score
Hello all,

Tomorrow I will be brewing my first all grain batch using a random assortment of hops and malts essentially, not using a premade kit. I was hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not you foresee any issues I would have with the batch that I am about to make, for example, too bitter, not enough hops, too much malt etc.

On to the recipe: (My goal was to make a little lighter IPA with a hefty bit of hops and fruitiness, think summer ipa)(5 gallon batch)

10lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
2lbs White Wheat

60 min - 1 oz Centennial
30 min - 1 oz Centennial
15 min - 1 oz Amarillo
0 min - 1 oz Amarillo

I havent decided whether or not I would throw in a bit of dry hops or not but, initially that is my thought process. I am new to this so don't ream me too bad. What about time in the primary and secondary? What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Casey

Looks ok, I would definitely dry hop. Is that wheat malted or unmalted? Also you may want to up the late hops a little, personally I'm not the biggest fan of the 30 min additions but that's just personal preference

@aerationStation thanks for the input. From your notes maybe I will bump the 1 oz at 30 min to 45 mins and bump up the late Amarillo. Do you think Centennial would be the wiser choice for the dry hop?

@aerationStation thanks for the input. From your notes maybe I will bump the 1 oz at 30 min to 45 mins and bump up the late Amarillo. Do you think Centennial would be the wiser choice for the dry hop?

Both dry hop well, a bump in amarillo in the end can't hurt either.

@haberdasher gotcha! Thank you, I will do that!

45m would just add more bitterness and nearly zero of either flavor or aroma

Just ran the numbers with:

1oz Cent @60
1oz Amarillo @15
1oz Cent @10
2oz Amarillo @0

Gives you 64ibu in a 6% beer Looks about perfect!
Dry hop with one or the other or both...

Point Taken! Do you think it would be any better to add any Amarillo in the beginning? I know it is primarily used for aroma but didn't know if you have heard, or witnessed, anything positive coming out of putting Amarillo in the beginning. Thanks

Point Taken! Do you think it would be any better to add any Amarillo in the beginning? I know it is primarily used for aroma but didn't know if you have heard, or witnessed, anything positive coming out of putting Amarillo in the beginning. Thanks

In my experience, it's not necessary -- Centennial will bitter just fine.

Back