First contest/first Part. Mash Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de5m0mike

Reaction score
I've brewed about 10 extract batches and I think I'm ready to progress to partial mash. So I'm looking for some recommendations on what style would be good for a first partial mash. I'm thinking something light like a kolsh or a reds rye. I usually do a lot of pale ale and IPA so I'm looking for something a little different. Also there is a brew contest coming up in about 10 weeks so if this goes well I'd like to enter it. Style suggestions, recipe suggestions, all help would be appreciated.

Doing a beer with grains like rye or oats that need to be mashed would be fun. A red ale with some rye would be fun, I really like Founder's which is heavy on the Amarillo hops (I'm sure there are some clone recipes floating around that you could convert). Not sure how it would do in a competition, it might be too agressively hopped for an American Amber.

Doing a beer with grains like rye or oats that need to be mashed would be fun. A red ale with some rye would be fun, I really like Founder's which is heavy on the Amarillo hops (I'm sure there are some clone recipes floating around that you could convert). Not sure how it would do in a competition, it might be too agressively hopped for an American Amber.

Funny that you mention the founders. I've been a mug club member at Founders for 6 years now and the Reds Rye is one of my favorite beers they make. Even better than that though is a new beer they have on tap right now called "Foreign Spy Rye". http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/65932 It is amazing. And I think you're right, something like that would be perfect, especially since, if I understand correctly, that is a beer that I wouldn't have been able to brew as an extract. I need to find a good recipe.

Back