First cones of the season already!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
I already have my first cones popping all over my first year bines! Is it normal for them to be on this early? This my first year growing, but I dug them up from a clubmember's 10year patch so they are very healthy except for some bug bites.:ban:

It really depends on the season. If you've gotten a lot of sun and rain off and on you're probably ok. However, if it's been real cold lately, like it has been in the North East, I'm wondering if it might be a stress thing. How tall are your bines? It's been my experience that they don't really start coneing out until >10ft. YMMV

The the bines with the first cones are probably around 10'. They weren't taller than 6" just 3 and 1/2 weeks ago. They grow like nuts.

For sure. Hops are crazy. I've got a few different kinds: my cascades are doing awesome maybe 7-8' while my golding and hallertau and saaz aren't doing so hot.

I have cones on mine, they are 15ft from the ground to the tip right now! Second year, produced not a single cone year 1.
4605205782_8a40f0f786.jpg

4604590589_e565f08e7c.jpg

It really depends on the season. If you've gotten a lot of sun and rain off and on you're probably ok. However, if it's been real cold lately, like it has been in the North East, I'm wondering if it might be a stress thing. How tall are your bines? It's been my experience that they don't really start coneing out until >10ft. YMMV

Yea, most of mine have been frosted three times now after getting about 6', I'll probably need to cut them back and start over, . . . . . if global warming ever kicks in.:mug:

Nice facebook site, but nothing on your barley. That's what I want to do. I actually have a patch of rye growing, but I plan to cut it all down and do barley next. I want to learn how to grow barley and malt it!

The barley goes in next spring. Starting the hops was enough stress this year!

I have a Cenntenial and a Magnum that both have hops buds like that on them and a golding that has some smaller ones on it as well here in Kansas. I am kind of hoping to get a double batch out of them this year. They are all second year plants.

Bite me! My freak'n hops aren't even tall enough to trellis and they are 4 & 5 years old!:(

Nice plants! Burrs are starting to pop up all over my first year Cascade (in a container)... how long from burr to finished cone?

Mine's really starting to grow quickly, but no cones yet. Today it grew about 5 inches and yesterday was almost the same. I'm dying for the cones because I don't know what type it is!

Hoppy You are in Atlanta? I am in Tucker. What hops do you have? I have Cascade and Fuggle. If you have something different, when it is time to trim the Rhizomes lets get together and trade!!!!!

Oh Cascade is 10 feet tall now. I haven't checked for cones yet. Might have to do that tonight!!!!

Hoppy You are in Atlanta? I am in Tucker. What hops do you have? I have Cascade and Fuggle. If you have something different, when it is time to trim the Rhizomes lets get together and trade!!!!!

Oh Cascade is 10 feet tall now. I haven't checked for cones yet. Might have to do that tonight!!!!

I'm in acworth. Mine is a cascade as well, but I was going go dig up some from a friend in Marietta that has 8 or 9 kinds( he doesn't have fuggle). i am sure he would trade with you and I would love to have some as well. PM when it gets that time of year.

Back