First cider sulfur problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaffnJack

Reaction score
The problem is that after I kegged and carbonated my cider, it developed a noticeable sulfur smell. There was never a sulfur smell at any point from the beginning of fermentation through to the kegging. I used S-04 in the primary and racked it to a secondary once fermentation was finished (FG 1.004). There it rested for two weeks before racking to the keg. I added 4 grams (directions on package) of potassium sorbate and racked the cider on top of it. Let it sit for 2-3 days and added frozen apple juice concentrate to sweeten.Then I placed the keg in my keezer at 40 degrees and put it on gas to carb. Now I have sulfur.

What happened and can I fix it?

Thanks in advance,
-J-

I have never used K-meta to try and stop fermentation for back sweetening so I don't know how much to use, but I have gotten sulfur smell from stressing out my yeast. Your sulfur could be from stressed yeast, or too much K-meta. Either way, I had some luck with "burping" the keg. I attached the gas in to the keg liquid out post and then pulled the pressure relief valve. This will cause CO2 to bubble up through the cider and scrub some of the sulfur smell away. Do this as many times as needed (it can be a lot). On one of my sulfur batches (I've only had two that stunk), I was never able to get rid of all of the sulfur smell, but it was greatly reduced. The sulfur smell never really bothered me, and I couldn't taste anything from it, but it bothered the GF so I got it to a point where it was acceptable for her and called it good. :)

The fermentation has taken off again. The yeast is also a little angry that you injured them with sulfite. All you really need to do is to wait. Sulfur almost always disappears over time. How much time is unknown. Often it takes about 3-4 weeks, but can take several months. Sorry but true in my experience. You'll just have to be patient. I am confident that it will disappear completely with age.

What's your batch size? That was enough K-Meta for 12.5 gallons.
And if you used it to prevent fermentation, that was a mistake. You need potassium sorbate for that.

What's your batch size? That was enough K-Meta for 12.5 gallons.
And if you used it to prevent fermentation, that was a mistake. You need potassium sorbate for that.

The batch size was 5 gal. I went back to check the recommended dosage of Sorbistat K (name of product) and it instructed to use .75 grams per gallon or 3.75 grams for a 5 gal batch. The ingredients are potassium sorbate not potassium metabisulfate as I stated previously. I got my potassiums mixed up.

Thanks for the response

-J-

(fixed original post)

I have never used K-meta to try and stop fermentation for back sweetening so I don't know how much to use, but I have gotten sulfur smell from stressing out my yeast. Your sulfur could be from stressed yeast, or too much K-meta. Either way, I had some luck with "burping" the keg. I attached the gas in to the keg liquid out post and then pulled the pressure relief valve. This will cause CO2 to bubble up through the cider and scrub some of the sulfur smell away. Do this as many times as needed (it can be a lot). On one of my sulfur batches (I've only had two that stunk), I was never able to get rid of all of the sulfur smell, but it was greatly reduced. The sulfur smell never really bothered me, and I couldn't taste anything from it, but it bothered the GF so I got it to a point where it was acceptable for her and called it good. :)

Thanks for this information. Worked like a charm. 4 days of purging the keg with C02 and not a hint of sulfur to be found. I truly appreciate it.:mug:

Back