First cider questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyew

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and brewing. I live in a hot climate and have finally sorted out a chest freezer to start my homebrewing / fermenting. I bought a cider kit from brooklynbrew shop and have used the yeast they gave to start 3 different ciders using store bought juice, all 1 gallon batches. I decided to experiment a bit by using three different flavour juices and also thought I would handle them all differently after fermentation to see which my wife and I would like the most.

Batch A - Apple juice - Plan is to follow the guidelines provided and leave in the carboy for 2 weeks then bottle after adding 3 tbsp honey and leave in bottle for 2 weeks before chilling and drinking. (I assume this will give me a dry carbonated cider)

Batch B - Tropical juice - Thinking of adding a non fermentable sugar when bottling and leaving for the 2 weeks before chilling and drinking.

Batch C - Mixed Berries - Adding sugar to carbonate and sweeten and then pasteurising on the stovetop following some of the instructions I've seen on this forum.

My goal is to come out with a sweet cider as that is generally what we prefer so I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on my suggested batch B and C as to wether they would come out sweet or if I should alter them slightly. Also how much sugar to use to sweeten and how long to leave before pasteurising to avoid any bottle bombs? Any tips or advice would be appreciated and even any different suggestions for what to do after the initial ferment.

Cheers,
J

LJgjWE9vRD6yD6rOILaB2A.jpg

Hi all,

New to the forum and brewing. I live in a hot climate and have finally sorted out a chest freezer to start my homebrewing / fermenting. I bought a cider kit from brooklynbrew shop and have used the yeast they gave to start 3 different ciders using store bought juice, all 1 gallon batches. I decided to experiment a bit by using three different flavour juices and also thought I would handle them all differently after fermentation to see which my wife and I would like the most.

Batch A - Apple juice - Plan is to follow the guidelines provided and leave in the carboy for 2 weeks then bottle after adding 3 tbsp honey and leave in bottle for 2 weeks before chilling and drinking. (I assume this will give me a dry carbonated cider)

Batch B - Tropical juice - Thinking of adding a non fermentable sugar when bottling and leaving for the 2 weeks before chilling and drinking.

Batch C - Mixed Berries - Adding sugar to carbonate and sweeten and then pasteurising on the stovetop following some of the instructions I've seen on this forum.

My goal is to come out with a sweet cider as that is generally what we prefer so I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on my suggested batch B and C as to wether they would come out sweet or if I should alter them slightly. Also how much sugar to use to sweeten and how long to leave before pasteurising to avoid any bottle bombs? Any tips or advice would be appreciated and even any different suggestions for what to do after the initial ferment.

Cheers,
J

View attachment 684749

Hey, thanks for sharing. Quick question: how did Batch A turn out? Did the honey carbonate well?

Hey, thanks for sharing. Quick question: how did Batch A turn out? Did the honey carbonate well?

Hi Sreichenberger,

I couldn't tell you yet as they are all still in primary. Don't plan on bottling till next weekend so likely won't be trying any till mid July but I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

Back