First cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all im fairly new to brewing beer . I bought a mangrove jack hard cider kit . Its an apple cider , however i want to add some spices . Should i add spices during the boil or fermentation? I want to get a spiced apple flavor . Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Cider kit...boil? Maybe I'm missing something, but all the cider kits I've made were just add water to concentrate. No boil. Since most kits also add dextrose, you could make a simple syrup with some cinnamon sticks or whatever, and then add that to the concentrate.

Cider kit...boil? Maybe I'm missing something, but all the cider kits I've made were just add water to concentrate. No boil. Since most kits also add dextrose, you could make a simple syrup with some cinnamon sticks or whatever, and then add that to the concentrate.
I miss read it . I just add the concetrate to boiling water . Thank you .

Hey DoD , i bought some whole spices. Cinnamon, Anise, Orange peel and Cloves. Should i add the spices during primary, or secondary? Ive looked around but havent found anything. I have a bag to keep the spices in . Its an apple cider im turning into a spiced apple cider

I would add spices to the secondary, or make a flavored syrup and add that to the secondary. Be careful with clove, a little goes a long way.

I use apple pie spice in secondary and it turns out great. Just be careful when adding any spices a little goes a long way, you can always add more but can't remove it.

Just put my cider in the fermentor . Says it should only take 6 days or so for the fermentation to complete . Would the secondary be for a week?

Did you spice your cider in primary? If so, how: whole spice or ground and did you mix the spice into a simple syrup?

Did you spice your cider in primary? If so, how: whole spice or ground and did you mix the spice into a simple syrup?

No i didnt add to the primary . I will on the secondary . Im using the following whole spices . Cinnamon, Cloves, Anise, Orange peel and all spice. I will collect a small amount maybe 1to 1.5 oz combined and pour some vodka on them to make sure they are sanitized. Then put it in my hops bag and let it sit for about 5 days or so.

I'd skip the vodka. @DoD_Ales said make a simple syrup and add to secondary. You could skip the sugar and drop the spices into a pint of boiling water. Cool then add to secondary.

So boil a couple cups of water and put the spices in and make a syrup. Would i still put the spices in for the secondary or just the liquid syrup?

The citrus zest shouldn't matter, but cinnamon, clove and anise may need a limited boil to access the flavor.

Did my spice simple syrup today by boiling 2 cups of water then adding my whole spices (1.0 oz total) then poured it into my cider in the carboy catching the spices in a hops bag . Floating the bag in the cider for 1 to 2 weeks. Smells wonderfull.

Back