First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badnaam

Reaction score
So i finished pouring the wort into the fermented about an hour ago. It's a double IPA, with an OG of 1.074 (as expected in the recipe). I used 2 packs of us-05 (23 mg) of hydrated yeast.

Also, when I was taking the sample of the final wort from the fermented, I had to dip in my fingers into it. I am sure my hands had been exposed to the sanitezers throught the process, do I have anything to worry about?

When would I start seeing some bubbling?

It could be awhile boss. Anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days. I wouldn't sweat the fingers thing, not the best technique, but if you have been playing in sanitizer all day you will be fine.

Congrats on your first brew. I've only got about 8 or 10 under my belt. It's a lot of fun, isn't it?

Don't sweat the fingers. Nothing you can do about it now anyway.

As for bubbles, you will most likely have it chugging away when you get up in the morning.

Bubbles can take a while, and with a big brew like that they may last a while too. I wouldn't worry about getting your hands in the wort, but try to find a way to eliminate that in your process.

I dropped the grommet from the airlock hole in a batch this week-end. I tried to fish it out, but no luck. I ended up scrubbing my arm with sanitizer, crossed my fingers, said a prayer to the beer gods, and dove in.
My secondary was already full, so I really didn't have much of a choice. Maybe I'll get lucky and the batch wont be ruined.

Money Pit Home Brew said:
I dropped the grommet from the airlock hole in a batch this week-end. I tried to fish it out, but no luck. I ended up scrubbing my arm with sanitizer, crossed my fingers, said a prayer to the beer gods, and dove in.
My secondary was already full, so I really didn't have much of a choice. Maybe I'll get lucky and the batch wont be ruined.

This happened to me on my very first batch ever. It didn't turn out amazing (APA-style SNPA-clone), but better than I thought it would after doing that.

I know there are lots of "grommet dropping" threads around here. I've done it myself. Now I mutter to myself as I'm finishing up the brew (kind of in a Rain Man kind of way), "Airlock on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket." Sounds dumb- but that's the way to avoid doing this! Put the airlock on the lid, then put the lid on the primary tightly. THEN put the liquid (water or vodka) into the airlock. Also, I bought another grommet at the HBS for $0.35, just in case.

If it ever happens again, just leave it in the bucket and use the extra grommet!

badnaam said:
So i finished pouring the wort into the fermented about an hour ago. It's a double IPA, with an OG of 1.074 (as expected in the recipe). I used 2 packs of us-05 (23 mg) of hydrated yeast.

Also, when I was taking the sample of the final wort from the fermented, I had to dip in my fingers into it. I am sure my hands had been exposed to the sanitezers throught the process, do I have anything to worry about?

When would I start seeing some bubbling?

the best advice i hear time and time again here is:

Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. etc.

it's worth the wait... and before you know it you'll always have something brewing :D.

I bought another grommet at the HBS for $0.35, just in case

Ahhh, the law of available parts at it's finest. I'm going to get an extra. I haven't dropped the grommet in yet, and having the grommet on hand will ensure it won't happen.

badnaam, how's it bubbling along now?

Yooper Chick said:
I know there are lots of "grommet dropping" threads around here. I've done it myself. Now I mutter to myself as I'm finishing up the brew (kind of in a Rain Man kind of way), "Airlock on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket." Sounds dumb- but that's the way to avoid doing this! Put the airlock on the lid, then put the lid on the primary tightly. THEN put the liquid (water or vodka) into the airlock. Also, I bought another grommet at the HBS for $0.35, just in case.

If it ever happens again, just leave it in the bucket and use the extra grommet!

Yooper,
Funny you posted that again.... I saw your original post where you "get in the zone". I dropped the grommet into my 1st TWO batches (should have learned with the 1st one, right?). Now I use the "yooper trick". 3rd batch , no grommet woo's...... :D

I've pushed the stopper through the neck of my wort-full carboy twice! It's kind of fun... :) in a sick way.

I've become pretty adept at fishing it out with a coat hanger and popping it back out (after the beer is fermented and transfered out, of course).

monk

Money Pit Home Brew said:
Been there on my very first batch. I have learned the food grade silicone trick with a twist. no worries
JJ

It's been going steady, the rate has varied though. It picked up speed on the 2nd day, however slowed down once I cooled the bucket a little (66-68), it was around 74.

Monk said:
I've pushed the stopper through the neck of my wort-full carboy twice! It's kind of fun... :) in a sick way.

I've become pretty adept at fishing it out with a coat hanger and popping it back out (after the beer is fermented and transfered out, of course).

monk
I have to stop myself because I have the same instinct to overdo it and push the stopper through the carboy. More muscle doesn't make better beer, but I have 3 extra stoppers just in case. I ruined my first batch with a AWOL stopper.:drunk:

Back