First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanwallner

Reaction score
Just finished my first homebrew. Everything went well. Two weeks on ferment. Checked finish gravity and all was good. Bottled last weekend( week ago). I was super clean. I used starsan on my bottles and when I bottled they were really bublely but was reassurred this wouldnt be a problem. Opened one last night after overnight in fridge. Good head. Great color, But kinda of a dry finish almost yeasty. Its a Red Ale extract kit from williams brewing. Its definately drinkable but the finish bothers me and it might be a liitle flat upfront. Maybe it needs to sit a liitle longer. Its been indoors at about 65-70 degrees for a week. Any ideas or suggestions would be awsome. ExCited for the next batch. Thanks

Mine first brew had almost the exact same issue. After two weeks it tasted better, after three weeks it was pretty good, and now after four weeks in the bottle it's pretty damn good. Hopefully you just need to give it some more time. I'm sure the pro's will chime in a tell you for sure though. Just don't panic about it like I did, time will prolly fix it.

I don't think it's a pro secret--a red just won't be at its best three weeks after brew day. Four weeks later and it's a different ballgame.

Drink that baby up to kill the pain during the Mariners season opener against the A's, or better yet wait till the home opener against Cleveland and there may just be something to celebrate.

Thanks for the info. I'll try one a week for the next three weeks to see the taste changes but plan for one month. Should it sit warm for that long or can it be refrigerated?

Go ahead and leave it warm for at least the first 3 weeks. I leave mine for 4 weeks warm...then just start putting a few bottles in the fridge at a time. As I pull one out, I put in a replacement so there's always four 22oz bombers in there ready to drink.

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy that beer

Back