First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin'

Reaction score
Wanted to first start off by saying hello to all the members, I am new to this. Also this is my first time brewing my own beer. My Dad bought me a Mr. Beer 'Pilot' Brewing kit at a yard sale which was never used. My first brew is a Red Ale bought from Mr. Beer. After reading about home brewing I have decided Mr. Beer kits are pretty much junk. But anyway, I followed these instructions http://www.mrbeer.com/images/pdf/PilotBarrelIns.v1. The instructions are very fague! My beer has been fermenting for 10 days now and it is still releasing CO2 about every 16 seconds or so. I poured some into a small glass and tasted it. It tasted horrible! It doesn't taste like beer at all. If anything it reminds me of bad cider. Plus the color isn't even red or amber it is milky light brown. I always wanted to brew my own beer and I was planning on investing in a 'real' 5 gallon setup but now I am a little discouraged. Does anyone have any advice or tips? Thank you for your help in advance. Cheers!

Forget mr beer... get yourself a nice starter kit with fresh ingredients. The cider flavor probably came from an infection, and the milky color was either evidence of that infection, or kicked up yeast from the trub. A simple and probable cause was bad yeast, due to age.

Thanks for the feed back. Yes I did use regular table sugar in this batch. What would you guys recommend for a starter kit? Should I buy one on the Internet or from a local brew shop?

I have been told NEVER to use cane-based sugars or beet-based sugars. Use only brewer's sugar which is made from corn. Some simply call it corn sugar. It is usually about a buck per pound. It looks just like powdered sugar but is made from corn starch and not the above types.

I have also wondered whether using Karo's Clear Corn Syrup might be just as easy and safe. It is corn based and might be cheaper than having to go thru a dealer. I can get it at Wal-Mart for Pete's sake.

solardollars said:
I have been told NEVER to use cane-based sugars or beet-based sugars. Use only brewer's sugar which is made from corn. Some simply call it corn sugar. It is usually about a buck per pound. It looks just like powdered sugar but is made from corn starch and not the above types.

I have also wondered whether using Karo's Clear Corn Syrup might be just as easy and safe. It is corn based and might be cheaper than having to go thru a dealer. I can get it at Wal-Mart for Pete's sake.
Just don't be surprised if you get a failed batch because you substituted ingredients that were not compatible.:(

Since you obviously have access to a computer, look up Home brew shops on the web. Allow plenty of time for that, because there are millions. Get a starter kit which should include all the stuff you need for a good first brew. The corn sugar issue should be the least of your worries. Unless you live where I do, you should have a homebrew shop close by. Get the corn sugar, until you get a little more brews under your belt, then go for dry malt extract (DME). Plus, after your first brew, get a book on homebrewing. There's a LOT of stuff in there that will get you hooked on this hobby/obsession.
Good Luck!:D

bah... I would go straight into a DME kit, even ones with steeping grains. Its freakin simple.

Ive been using the G&G extract kits from www.thegrape.net... they are cheap and come with step by step instructions on how to brew. Its really a no brainer. Most of the starter equiptment kits come with a book on how to brew.

Once you start one batch, you will have questions on procedures and terms... keep notes on what you are curious about and make sure to look them all up.

Do not dump it. Give it a full 14 days to ferment then another 14 in secondary fermentation then 3 or 4 weeks lagering in the refrigerator per the instructions. Mr. Beer kits mixes need to be lagered to get rid of the cidery taste.

apneaman said:
Do not dump it. Give it a full 14 days to ferment then another 14 in secondary fermentation then 3 or 4 weeks lagering in the refrigerator per the instructions. Mr. Beer kits mixes need to be lagered to get rid of the cidery taste.

Mr. Beer kits do not have a secondary fermenter. It's in the primary then you are supposed to bottle. So how long should I leave it in the primary, in the bottles, and in the refrigerator? I believe the direction say one week fermentation and one week in the bottle and thats all. I wish it would say this stuff in the directions... I was just going to dump it until I read your reply. Thanks you. I look forward to any responses. :tank:

2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in the bottle (secondary in my book) 2-4 weeks (call it 3) lagering then try it. I have done about 6 different brew through my Mr.Beer kit and these numbers work well fo me. Some brews need more lagering time.

Yes, I mean refrigeration. Each recipe has a slightly different lagering/refigeration time. Mr.Beer seems to get a bad rap as not being a real beer or kit but it makes some really good beer without havivg to buy expensive stuff. It is beer made easy.

$12-$19 for 2 gallons of beer? Doesn't sound too cheap to me and that doesn't include priming sugar...

Back