First Brew this weekend (few ?s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbie99

Reaction score
I will be brewing for the first time this weekend (Midwest Ben Ben Pale Ale Kit) and was wondering if i should switch the munton's yeast that came with the kit for some nottinghams that i could pick up local? I have been diligently researching and reading all i can to prepare and have not heard much said on the munton's yeast. Will swapping make a big difference in taste, or should I just use what they sent and relax? Thanks,

Webbie

I would swap it as I have heard that Munton's is not a great yeast, long lag time, stalls out, ect... Nottingham's on the other hand gets great reviews and is perfect for a first time brewer.

I've always substituted the muntons yeast for the Wyeast smack packs. I just don't trust the included yeast for some reason. I've also started making yeast starters, which is something you'll wanna look into if you do choose to use liquid yeast. Good luck on your first brew!

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead and pick up some nottinghams and pitch that instead of the muntons.

Well I picked up a pack of nottinghams and a pack of safale-04 for insurance. Wish me luck.

webbie99 said:
Well I picked up a pack of nottinghams and a pack of safale-04 for insurance. Wish me luck.

I am sure everything will go well. Just RDWHAHB. And if you have any questions along the way post them up here, you will be suprised at how fast you will get an answer or two. :mug:

Finished at midnight... only a few mistakes... did not have enough boiled top off water so I had to use tap water... also forgot to get an OG.... oh well.. I was rushed... I started at 8 and SWMBO thought 4 hours was a wee bit long... i am sure it will be fine though.

I bought a digital themometer that was supposed to be accurate from -40 to 380 F. It said I was boiling @ 211 so I trusted it. I cooled the wort to 68 using and ice bath and changed it out a few times (only took about 30 min), then I poured the cool wort through a stainless steel strainer to aerate, shook the carboy a little, and pitched. This morning I have small bubble breaking the surface, soon to be a healthy krausen ( I hope).

Nice Krausen as of 5 PM yesterday, even better this morning. Who knew making beer could be so straightforward and enjoyable!

sounds like your methods were pretty good (aeration, etc). No sweat using a little tap water to top up, so long as your tap water tastes good in its own right. Nice job, and enjoy future brews!
P.S. I hear ya on the time constraints. No matter how much I prep SWMBO ahead of time, we seem to figure time differently on brew day.

Yeah, I made the ultimate mistake the first time I told her a round of golf was average of 4 hours. Now from the time I leave until I return, she expects 4 hours. I need to tell her that brew day and golf day now are both officially 8 hour experiences.

Back