First brew this Friday! EXCITED

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will it fit inside your brew pot with some room? Maybe you could do that and change out the water until next time when you can get the proper container and plenty of bottles to use (as well as freezer space). At 66* you may not need as much frozen water though. If you can get the water close to 60* your beer will likely stay at 65* or so.

71* isn't terrible! but it'll climb a bit when fermentation gets going crazy.

No it won't, I'm going to go to my work in about an hour.. I'll go ahead and just change my oil and rotate my tires while I'm their to so :p

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah it is fermenting right now, not like foaming out the top yet tho haha. But I have a tub like storage tubes at my work..

Yeah well!! it had sunlight for 6 hours.. -.-

Fret not. You'll know better for next time. Light beers with lots of hops skunk more easily. Yours is dark and low hops. So if you ever brew an IPA, either ferment in an opaque vessel or be completely paranoid about protecting it from light.

Yeah well.. Hopefully It didn't make a huge difference.. It's been cloudy all day so hopefully that also helped a little bit. Now sunlight.. By the sun? Or also by lights in the house like light bulbs

Yeah well.. Hopefully It didn't make a huge difference.. It's been cloudy all day so hopefully that also helped a little bit. Now sunlight.. By the sun? Or also by lights in the house like light bulbs

Primarily the sun and fluorescent lights.

When I go to town which I'm about to leave I'll have to stop by my brew shop and pick up a stick on thermometer.. Funny me forgot one yesterday haha

When you stick it on be sure to put it up high as you want to keep it out of the water, but not so high that it's above the typical wort level.

What u mean? I'm going to get those sticky thermometers to stick on the outside of the Carboy

Yes, but then you'll place the carbon into a tub of water. You don't want to submerge the fermometer.

Oh yes got you! To keep it out of the ice bath so it will read the Carboy temp not the ice bath temp got ya

Like this:

nqwnxu.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry I'm slow. Got kicked off of the computer and now using an iPad, which I'm not as familiar with.

The water will destroy it over time.

Okay how does this lighting look? Firs pic is in the brew room and the right pic is down the hall with light.. Can I take off the shirt that's covering the Carboy if it's this dark?

Alright well I'm excited :) I have learned the day after I brewed it lol..

That's why I sent a PM to see if you had it all figured it out. It's extensive and overwhelming until you've done it a few times.

I dumped my first two batches as I didn't quite get it all, though I wasn't a home brew forum member at the time, and so I know how it sucks.

Ah I didn't see the PM :S sorry about that haha. Alright my fermometer is reading 72-74 and my floating thermometer I have in the water floating around the Carboy says the water is 70 does this sound about right for the Carboy to be this warm? I haven't added ice just yet I have some freezing right now, 2 2 liters of water and a bunch of water bottles

I'd think cold tap water ought to be in the 60s or so, but what ever it takes to bring the temp of the beer down.

drink a couple 2 liters of pepsi real quick, fill em with water, put in the freezer and when frozen put em in your tub, in the mean time ask your wife to do the same, rinse and repeat:D

Haha yeah... I got a 40 gallon tub from work which is working fine :) I have a cupola 2 liters and bunch of water bottles freezing right now, I'll put them in in the morning since the sun will be going down soon.. Here is a pic
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400972058.565627.jpg

So I have priming sugar, what is it, corn sugar, DME? All it says on it is priming sugar 5 oz brewers best

My only fear is bottle bombs, I heard a good rule of thumb is 1 oz per gallon. I've been using the prime sugar calculators and it says like 5.1 oz for 5 gallons for a 2.7 co2 volume. But I think I'm going to use like 4.5 oz just to be safe for my first batch.. I would be destroyed if my very first batch got ruined at the last step!

So I made an adjustment.. I notice this morning my tube was sticking out of the water.. Yikes.. So I got one of my wine bottles and filled it up then stuck the tube far in it :p it is 12pm and it is sitting at 68 degrees that was without the frozen bottles.. I'm about to leave for the day so I went ahead and put the frozen bottles in their because I don't know how warm it will get :)

Well, Krausen means it will one day be beer. I see Krausen, so it is a success on at least one level already.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Back