First Brew = sourness in the finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp_

Reaction score
Drinking my first homebrew. I used this kit: Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit -- Kit Inventory Sheet. We fermented for 4 weeks and it has been in the bottle for 4 weeks. Color is good, aroma is good, head is pretty good, taste is mostly good other than this touch of sourness in the finish. Any thoughts on what could be causing that? Does it need more time in the bottle? I like sour beers like lambics, farmhouse, etc but not in my pale ales. Thx.

A really sour flavor is going to be from a bacterial infection. They can be exacerbated by too warm or slow fermentations. If it seems like a mild off flavor, maybe you just don't really dig the beer you made even though it came out the way it's supposed to...

Sourness, or a slight astringency?

Astringency is normal for a young pale ale. Those hops need to mellow out over time.

I'd say get on to your next batch and set this one aside for another 3-4 weeks.

One more thought; were you in a plastic primary for all of that first 4 weeks?

yes, better bottle. That could have some effect?

Sourness, or a slight astringency?

Astringency is normal for a young pale ale. Those hops need to mellow out over time.

I'd say get on to your next batch and set this one aside for another 3-4 weeks.

Not sure I know. How would you describe a "slight astringency?"

I'm pretty new to brewing and have heard/read conflicting things about this. Some suggest getting into a glass secondary after about 10 days to avoid the settled yeast from imparting off-flavors (autolysis), and some plastic fermenters are more prone to bad seals and oxidation (wouldn't be so with what you're using). Biermuncher is definitely more experienced than me, so I would definitely take his advice. Just let this one age for a while and see what happens. Best of luck, Mike

Back