First brew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some more info on the gravity readings: I was worried (not really worried, mostly curious) about the OG reading since I got 1.056 rather than the stated 1.048 in the instructions. I just plugged the recipe into beercalculus at hopville.com, and guess what came up? 1.056.

It shows a range of 1.050 to 1.058, with a calculated OG of 1.056. The BJCP style guide states OG should be 1.052 or lower, with an FG 1.012 or lower. Looks like I'll hit the FG, but my OG is off according to style. The IBUs are low too at 6.3, style states at least 10. A full boil would have gotten me 9.1 IBUs.

Just got back from our trip. I bottled the batch last Sunday, and left Monday on our trip. I put one beer in the fridge today and will drink it tomorrow. Plan to do the same after week 2 and week 3 of bottle conditioning.

I picked up Palmer and Zainasheff's Brewing Classic Styles. The recipes and the information on beer styles are pretty cool, will try one of these after I've brewed the kits I have.

Back