First brew need a little input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch yesterday and it is in the basement bubbling away. The beer is a kit a local brewery sells that clones their beer (IPA in this case). Everything went well except for the hydrometer reading which I ended up not doing. I thought the hydrometer would fit in my auto siphon which it did not do I will have to pick up a vessel to put the beer in to take my FG.

Everything was really going well until the end where I felt like I was doing 50 million things at once. I also think I went crazy with the sanitizer. I had my bottling bucket and fermenter both filled with 2 gallon batches of c-brite. I had all my supplies in the bottling bucket soaking the entire time until I needed them. Is this a little overboard? I just couldn't seem to think of a good system for sanitizing. Could I sanitize the fermenting bucket with lid and then just put the lid on until I need it?

Also I brew inside I have no garage so I need to think of way to minimize the wort smell so my wife doesn't kill me again. Probably have to tough it out and open the windows in the middle of winter and setup a fan to blow out.

I use Starsan and usually just put about 2 or 3 gallons in the fermenting bucket and shake it up every once in a while during the boil.. sometimes I empty before I'm ready and just pop the lid on until time to fill it..

my wife LOVES it when I make beer.... loves the smell !

After someone advised me on here(I can't believe i didn't think to do it that way right away) I just put the beer in the tube my hydrometer came in. worked great for my final readings :D

+1
After someone advised me on here(I can't believe i didn't think to do it that way right away) I just put the beer in the tube my hydrometer came in. worked great for my final readings :D

thats how we do it.

and who doesnt love the smell of wort.........i want an airfreshener for that stuff..........of course that air fresherner will be invented after i invent the cascade hops air freshener........:D

The best advice anyone can give is to chill out and enjoy the ride. The second batch is sooo much easier than the first and by the time your on your third your cruising.

Youll figure it out, youll find you ALWAYS end up with beer, and SWMBO....Well, good luck with that....

RDWHAHB!

Latest posts

Back