First Brew - Irish Red for St. Pattys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish

Reaction score
No questions here, I just wanted to share a few brew pics from my first crack at home brewing. I haven't posted much, but have been reading a whole lot since I joined up a few months back. Thanks to all who've provided their insight, experience and advice!

I decided to start simple and go with an ingredient kit, so my first brew was an Irish Red Ale recipe from Midwest home brewing, which was a extract and partial grain kit. I also picked up their intermediate starter equipment package, which worked great. Brew day was back on December 26th. One week in the primary, a little over two weeks in the secondary (better bottle), and about a month or so in bottles and it was ready to drink, just in time for St. Patty's Day. I'll admit I jumped the gun and cracked one open after only 2 weeks after bottling, and while it tasted good it was still pretty flat. A little constraint and patience paid off, as it turned out great, I was shocked I was able to get a beer this good on my first try!

A few quick pics:

Transferring from primary to secondary:
IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

Not bad for a beginner! Nothing beats working on your home while drinking a tasty beverage you made yourself!
IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

Once I get a free day, I'm following up this batch with the other kit I picked up with my order, a Liberty Cream Ale. I have to get moving, because I don't see this first batch lasting long... After that I think I'll try one of the recipe's floating around here instead of the kit.

Looks good! I just bottled this exact kit last week and I can't wait to break open a bottle. It's my first time brewing as well and I hope mine turns out as well as yours did!

Looks good! I just bottled this exact kit last week and I can't wait to break open a bottle. It's my first time brewing as well and I hope mine turns out as well as yours did!

I'll reiterate what I constantly read around here - patience is key! I found this beer didn't really hit it's stride until it was bottled for over a month (something like 6 weeks). Like I mentioned above, I opened one after 2 weeks (for the super bowl) and it was OK, but still needed a good deal of carbonation and it had an off taste to it. Fortunately, right around that time we got REAL busy at work, and before I knew it March was here, so that helped the waiting process. :D By the beginning of March it was fantastic. The flavor is a little on the hoppy side compared to most irish red's I've had, but I really like the flavor combination. Good luck with your batch!

That really does look good. Note the bubbles streaming up from the bottom, you have done very well.

I really like the way the beer carbonated - bubbly but it doesn't get a real big head to it. Thanks guys!

Once I get a free day, I'm following up this batch with the other kit I picked up with my order, a Liberty Cream Ale. I have to get moving, because I don't see this first batch lasting long... After that I think I'll try one of the recipe's floating around here instead of the kit.

I also started with the MW Irish Red, followed by the MW Liberty Cream Ale; although mine were both extract with steeping grains. My Irish Red turned out OK for a first attempt, but the Cream Ale was delicious - it exceeded my expectations. I think you'll be happy with it.

Nice pics, by the way.

I'll reiterate what I constantly read around here - patience is key! I found this beer didn't really hit it's stride until it was bottled for over a month (something like 6 weeks). Like I mentioned above, I opened one after 2 weeks (for the super bowl) and it was OK, but still needed a good deal of carbonation and it had an off taste to it. Fortunately, right around that time we got REAL busy at work, and before I knew it March was here, so that helped the waiting process. :D By the beginning of March it was fantastic. The flavor is a little on the hoppy side compared to most irish red's I've had, but I really like the flavor combination.

I had a similar experience. I brewed an Irish Red extract kit from morebeer and it was hoppier than I expected. I left it in the fermentor for about 2 weeks and then kegged it. I had my first real taste after a week in the keg and I could tell right away it was not ready. A few weeks later it was a lot better. But unlike you I don't think I'm a big fan of Irish Red's. I'll be sticking to the wheat beers from now on.

Im about to do a 2nd batch of IR,i loved the 1st batch so much.It had like an 8% alcohol,which was great for me.

Great posts....I also just bottled my first batch of Irish Red Ale from MW. I tasted it before bottling and it was getting there. That being said, if I have learned one thing from this forum....it is PATIENCE is KING.

Back