First brew in the fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scriv

Reaction score
So my first brew day is complete, the wort is in the fermenter!

I learned a few things along the way:

The hot break was not as bad as I was expecting. Some minimal foam, but nothing alarming.

The first hop addition on the other hand... Big boil over, it happened so fast, maybe 2 seconds after the hops hit the boil. What a pain to clean off the stove! According to my wife I'll be buying a propane burner and brewing outside from now on.

Other than that nothing too eventful, lots of worrying about sanitization and cleanliness. I'm hopeful it comes out good, guess I'll see in a month.

Boilovers happen, I either stir like crazy when adding hops and even sometimes lift the pot off for a second or two to settle down. What kind of beer are you making for your first?

It usually takes one boil over on the stove to get kicked out of the kitchen. Nice work though. Keep a spray bottle of water nearby to wrangle those boil overs.

Burners help, it took me a few times to figure out how to control the boilovers. Try adding hops slowly if you didn't do so and stirring constantly. It reduces the build up, and makes it easier to control. Welcome to the hobby though and enjoy the rewards!!

Back