First brew, going AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
So I went over the equipment list and the procedures involved. It took about 1 hour to understand what to do, and what I need.

Is there a hitch here? Why is AG the highest difficulty tier? Can more things go wrong in this setup?

It seems that anyone with a clue and a thermometer can do AG, correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Yes, more things can go wrong when doing AG. Also, the concept of making your own beer is a very foriegn concept to many people, and babysteps are the way to go. It took me about a dozen extract batches to 'get' AG brewing. NOw I do it every week!

Cool...and I wasn't implying that it is something anyone can do by any means. I am just familiar with all this equipment already from work, hobbies, etc.

It's not as difficult as I thought it was going to be, but there are certainly more things to do, thusly more things that can go wrong than when brewing with extract.

For me AG is the pinnacle because I have complete control over all ingredients that are going to make my beer. It's more about getting involved in the process and feeling a sense of accomplishment that you just don't get from dumping in a couple cans of extract.

Extract brewers can make some damn fine beer. I've even had some pretty good beer made with Mr. Beer, but if you really want to learn about what makes beer and how to create your own recipes, AG is the way to go if you ask me.

Back