First brew, floating stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmIWrongDude

Reaction score
A few days after switching from blowoff valve to airlock I noticed this stuff floating. It doesn't look like other yeast floaties I've found pics of. I used sanitizer but maybe something went wrong and I've got mold? This is my first time brewing so no experience on what to expect.
20200327_184203.jpg

Was this made with malt extract, or grain?

Looks like it could be bits of pellet hops.

I'm any case, it's not mold and nothing to worry about.

There's lots to learn about brewing. If you stick with it you can certainly make beer that's as good or better than almost anything you'll find in the store or at local breweries.

Cheers and welcome to HBT!

I’d guess it was little bits of grain that got through (assuming you’re doing a partial mash or all grain.. or one of those kits that comes with a handful of grain and a small sack). I mean it just looks more grain-like to me than hop bit, though I could be wrong. But I’m pretty sure it’s not mold or anything else nasty that’s in there. I wouldn’t be worried about it.

I agree it looks more like bits of grain but I wanted to be sure it had grain it in before suggesting that.

I guess it's a "partial mash"? There was a pack of malt extract but also a pack of grains that got put into one of those cheesecloth like bags. I wouldn't have thought the grains could make it through that, but maybe? It's the craft a brew hefeweizen. I have a "bouncer MD" filter I was going to use before bottling, so maybe that will keep it out if it doesn't sink before then.

I guess it's a "partial mash"? There was a pack of malt extract but also a pack of grains that got put into one of those cheesecloth like bags. I wouldn't have thought the grains could make it through that, but maybe? It's the craft a brew hefeweizen. I have a "bouncer MD" filter I was going to use before bottling, so maybe that will keep it out if it doesn't sink before then.

Yeah, bits of grain will get through those bags, not a lot, but seeing that in a fermenter will happen from time to time. It won’t do anything to your beer, and probably won’t see any of it make its way to the bottles.

Back