First brew experience.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieTrappist

Reaction score
Put first batch into fermenter Sunday at 5:30p.

Brewer's Best extract kit Belgium Dark Strong. Subbed D-90 for the included soft sugar. Subbed white labs monastery 500.

Everything went great until wort got to 70 degrees. We were late to a family event so I rushed from here. First, I came up an inch short of the 5-gallon mark. OG 1.08. Then I didn't stir the wort with the added water. Then I failed to shake up the wort and create oxygen. Then I rushed the yeast and didn't shake/squeeze it right-and spilled about 1/4 of it.

Therm strip on bucket has said 66-67 mostly.

5:30p Monday I decided to shake up the bucket for a minute and add another package of the same yeast. Not out of impatience. Just because I think I ruined the first pitch.

10p Monday airlock activity begins.
6am Tuesday airlock going crazy.

It appears beer is being made. Let's hope I don't screw it up further!

What is your target FG? I did my first batch last Sunday and was ill-equipped with backup yeast. I probably would have added another batch or substituted as well after the mediocre reviews I've read about the included Muntons Ale yeast. Did you make any other recipe additions/mods?

You'd be surprised how forgiving the process can be. Those yeasties really want to make beer! All we have to do is let them.

Cheers!

What is your target FG? I did my first batch last Sunday and was ill-equipped with backup yeast. I probably would have added another batch or substituted as well after the mediocre reviews I've read about the included Muntons Ale yeast. Did you make any other recipe additions/mods?

I stuck to the recipe otherwise. I wish I had swapped the hop packets out. Both weren't highly recommended for the style I'm going for.
Would love this to get down to 1.00. Maybe the double dose of yeast will help. Even thought about boiling some brown sugar or more candi sugar to add at secondary to get more fermentation. Might be too much manipulation for my first try. Next I'll be trying some of the clones I found online, Northy12, Rochefort 10, Sixth Glass, St Bernardus 12.

Extra yeast will not affect the FG. Adding more sugar will not affect the FG (though brown sugar or caramelized sugar might raise it). Best is to let it ride, enjoy the beer you get, and make decisions about your next brew that are informed by your results with this one. You don't have those results yet.

Cheers,

As a first timer I think you did fine and it's good to just let those kits ride with their ingredients and then tweek as needed next time.

I'm thinking your FG may only end up at 1.02. If I recall that's what my kit did of that stuff but I believe that has S-04 in it. This was 2 years ago or more.

Latest posts

Back