First Brew Day w/ pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightshift

Reaction score
Brewed my first home brew yesterday! I am pretty proud of myself considering I've never done anything like this before. Just wanted to commemorate the event with some pictures and a few comments.

th_CopyofPicture10011.jpg

This is the ingredient kit I ordered from AHB supply... Bavarian Hefeweizen

th_Picture10141.jpg

This is the set up I'm brewing with. Turkey fryer...works great!

th_Picture1015.jpg

Steeping the grains...one of the best smells I’ve ever smelled

th_Picture1024a.jpg

Boiling the extract and hops

(continued below.....4 pics max...)

Looks spot on to me. I had that same thermometer. When you go all grain, toss it, it won't be accurate enough. I found mine was off by about 10 degrees, ended up getting a better one the same day I went all grain for the first time.

The propane burner on the wood floor is a little worrisome. Did you use that indoors? Just so you know, man caves that are converted into breweries have an exhaust fan to avoid CO poisoning.

th_Picture10181.jpg

This is the monster wort chiller i built...

th_Picture1030.jpg

210 degrees to 80 degrees in 9 minuets flat!!!

th_Picture1031.jpg

Had my hands full transfering the wort to the fermentor and pitching the yeast, ect....so no pics of that, but here it is...air lock chuging away after about 12 hours....Yes!!!

Looks spot on to me. I had that same thermometer. When you go all grain, toss it, it won't be accurate enough. I found mine was off by about 10 degrees, ended up getting a better one the same day I went all grain for the first time.

The propane burner on the wood floor is a little worrisome. Did you use that indoors? Just so you know, man caves that are converted into breweries have an exhaust fan to avoid CO poisoning.

Thanks for the thermometer advice. The burner sits a good distance up off the floor away from the wood..not even close enough to make the wood hot. I did this in my detached garage with the garage door wide open..also had a floor fan blowing...I'm in Louisiana...it was 75 degrees outside yesterday..Great beer brewing weather!!! :mug:

Congrats on the first brew day, I'm sure it will be one of many more to come. Couple quick questions. Did you only chill it to 80 degrees? What kind of beer is this and what type of yeast?

th_Picture10181.jpg

This is the monster wort chiller i built...

210 degrees to 80 degrees in 9 minuets flat!!!

Had my hands full tranfering the wort to the fermentor and pitching the yeast, ect....so no pics of that, but here it is...air lock chuging away after about 12 hours....Yes!!!

DUDE THAT CHILLER ROCKS!

Good Job! I made a Heff on my second batch, it's a great way to start.

BTW.. That's one KILLER Chiller!:mug:

With a Heff... you are only weeks away from your first taste!

Now the question is... bottle or keg? :D

Congrats on the first brew day, I'm sure it will be one of many more to come. Couple quick questions. Did you only chill it to 80 degrees? What kind of beer is this and what type of yeast?

Its Bavarian Hefeweizen I ordered from Austin Homebrew Supply...the instructions said to chill to 80 degrees before pitching the yeast, but by the time i had filtered it into the primary and poured it back and forth to airate it, it was probably closer to room temperature when I pitched the yeast. The yeast that came with the kit was White Labs Hefeweizen Ale WLP300.

Good Job! I made a Heff on my second batch, it's a great way to start.

BTW.. That's one KILLER Chiller!:mug:

With a Heff... you are only weeks away from your first taste!

Now the question is... bottle or keg? :D

I guess I'm old fasioned but I'm going to do the bottle thing...I want to be able to hold, open and pour a bottle of beer that i brewed. I want to be able to give a bottle to a friend...Individual packages...take a six pack of home brew to a get together.... you get the picture...:mug:

Back