first brew day, Thanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider67

Reaction score
First off i would like to thank everyone that has gone before me in this endeavor and posted there experince with tips and tricks, with out it i wouldnt have made it thru the day lol

for my first i got the caribou slobber all grain kit from nb

I was going to do a extract first but the wife over heard me talking about water coolers and for my b-day suprised me with a 5 and 10 gallon cooler.

I pre heated the hlt and mash tun before i started, I had a little struggle with the strike temp but had it at 154 within 5to 10 min, i stirred the mash 3 times over the next hour and temp dropped to 153 by the end.

boiled a gallon of water and dumped in for the mash out, Then came the mind games i was planning on doing a fly sparge, then i thought about batch sparging, i ended up fly sparging took a little over a hr to fly sparge, mash stuck on me once but no big deal, had it corrected in no time.

i ended up with 7 gallons in the boil pot which is what i was wanting, the pre boil gravity was 1.044 at 79 degrees adjusted it was 1.046
boil was uneventfull hop additions on schedule
my post boil gravity was 1.053 at 79 degrees adjusted it was 1.055 ended up with 5 1/4 gallons little short but thats ok

wort chiller went in and i could only get it down to 79 degrees, So i robbed the johnson controler from my sausage fridge that is sitting empty and put in on a collage size fridge at my office and put the fermentor in there, came in this am and temp was down to 66 degrees put some 02 in the wort and pitched this am, now its the waiting game, all in all a pretty good day learned alot for the next one. And most important i enjoyed the process.

so Thanks again to all you guys that post on here with out it i dont think i would have brewed a batch Cheers :mug:

Later
slider

Latest posts

Back