First brew choice help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henkelbrau

Reaction score
So I've got all my equipment squared away for my first brew and now I'm trying to decide what kit/recipe I should try first. The main problem is that I'm a little beer naive. I honestly didn't like beer that much until recently. I mostly drank Shiner Bock because that's what people drink in Texas. They have it at every bar so I don't have to worry about whether or not they have it. A couple of friends of mine took me to a new(er) local bar that has a bunch of local craft beers on tap. I didn't know beer could taste so good.

I need help deciding what to brew based on what I like. I haven't tried many different beers. I'm not a fan of extremely bitter beers.

Beers I know like:
-Blue Moon Belgian White
-Franconia Wheatbeer (they're a local brewery like a half hour from where I live) This beer is delicious and is the beer that changed my mind about beer.
-512 pecan porter (brewery out of Austin I think)
-Shiner Ruby Redbird
-Shiner Hefeweizen (any Hefeweizen really but none of them stand up to the Franconia wheat beer with they say is a Hefeweizen on their site)

Beers with qualities I know I don't like:
-Guinness Extra Stout, I enjoy it but i find the hop after taste unpleasant.
-Shiner bock is more bitter than I'd like.
-Peticolas Brewing - Velvet Hammer.
I picked this out at random on my birthday and almost couldn't drink it all. Their site puts it at 9% ABV and 85 IBUS. I couldn't taste anything but bitter.

Sorry I don't have a more extensive selection of examples I haven't tried that many varieties. I'd just like some suggestions of beers to try that I'm more likely to enjoy. I'm afraid I'm gonna brew a beer I don't like and get discouraged.

I was looking at Northern Brewer's chocolate milk stout. It sounds delicious. Is there any reason why I couldn't do something like that my first try?

Thanks
:mug:

I was looking at Northern Brewer's chocolate milk stout. It sounds delicious. Is there any reason why I couldn't do something like that my first try?

Thanks

No reason at all not to do that kit. I did the Oatmeal Stout and it was very good.

I say look at the descriptions and do one. If you like it, look for something similar. Expand as you go. I have done many styles, fortunately I like most. About the only thing I have not done is sours.

You can try sampling craft beers, then if there is one that you would like to try look at recipes and similar kits.

I did an Irish Red Ale as my first, A Patersbier as my second then an extra pale ale and nut brown ales. I have liked all of them. Now about ready to keg batch #43 which is my first Lager, a Bavarian Helles.

I'd pick the simplest kit you can find for your first beer. Don't do anything complicated where you add something like in a secondary...Looks like you like Wheat Beer, so try one of them.

I have to agree on wheat beers for you. Pale ales may be possible as well. Perhaps a medium ale down the road. Stay away from ipa or porters they are dark and bitter. I enjoy ek just cant drink more than 3 at a time before the hops gets me lol

Based on your apparent tastes and the notion that starting simple is good... I'd order this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ct-kits/bavarian-hefe-weizen-extract-kit.html and two packs of Wyeast 3068.

Do you think he'd really need two packs? Hefe's are usually under 1.060... One pack should suffice.

I'd agree here with Beernut though. Hefeweizen is pretty straight forward and a delicious first beer! A Porter might also be up your alley and would make for a decent first beer.

All in all, those Northernbrewer kits get a lot of good reviews as does the company as a whole. Can't go wrong it seems.

Good time of year for the choc milk stout! By the time it's ready, cooler weather will on its way!

Hefeweizens are simple recipes and generally turn out well. Just watch that Texas heat during fermentation! You'll want to keep it cool, in the 60's if possible. The yeast produce an extra 4 to 8 degrees in the first few days of fermentation to make matters worse so be sure to go by the beer temp, not just the room temp. A shallow tub of water with a frozen 2liter bottle that your fermenter sits in is the most basic way to keep things cool. It's most important in the first 3 days or so during peak activity...

I'd suggest getting your pipeline established before doing the chocolate milk stout. That kind of brew needs about 3 months in the bottles before popping the first one.

One of the NB wheat beers or maybe their Irish Red would be a tasty first brew.

Do you have the means to ferment this in the mid-60's? If not, focus on that first. Trying to do a normal ale in Texas in the summer isn't going to turn out well.

I'd suggest getting your pipeline established before doing the chocolate milk stout. That kind of brew needs about 3 months in the bottles before popping the first one.

One of the NB wheat beers or maybe their Irish Red would be a tasty first brew.

Do you have the means to ferment this in the mid-60's? If not, focus on that first. Trying to do a normal ale in Texas in the summer isn't going to turn out well.

and

Hefeweizens are simple recipes and generally turn out well. Just watch that Texas heat during fermentation! You'll want to keep it cool, in the 60's if possible. The yeast produce an extra 4 to 8 degrees in the first few days of fermentation to make matters worse so be sure to go by the beer temp, not just the room temp. A shallow tub of water with a frozen 2liter bottle that your fermenter sits in is the most basic way to keep things cool. It's most important in the first 3 days or so during peak activity...

The way I have decided to deal with the temperature issue is to wait a month or so until the temperatures starts to go down. I also like the swamp cooler idea. My house is pretty warm during the summer. Next year I hope to get a fridge with a thermostat to control it. (or a chest freezer) I just don't want my SWMBO to get pissed off about me buying a ton of stuff without seeing any beer come out of it.

I just want to have some beer to take to thanksgiving.

Do you think he'd really need two packs? Hefe's are usually under 1.060... One pack should suffice.

I'd agree here with Beernut though. Hefeweizen is pretty straight forward and a delicious first beer! A Porter might also be up your alley and would make for a decent first beer.

All in all, those Northernbrewer kits get a lot of good reviews as does the company as a whole. Can't go wrong it seems.

I always recommend either a starter or (particularly when you're newer) an extra slap-pack of yeast. Buying one more pack, you're talking an extra 6 bucks or so (11 or 12 cents a beer) to help make sure you get good attenuation as a new extract brewer - worth every penny. :mug:

henkelbrau said:
The way I have decided to deal with the temperature issue is to wait a month or so until the temperatures starts to go down. I also like the swamp cooler idea. My house is pretty warm during the summer. Next year I hope to get a fridge with a thermostat to control it. (or a chest freezer) I just don't want my SWMBO to get pissed off about me buying a ton of stuff without seeing any beer come out of it.

I doubt your house will EVER be cool enough to keep a fermenting beer in the 60's. There are styles that are more forgiving to higher temperature ferments though. Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) is a very hearty strain that actually does better at warmer temperatures. A simple wheat beer recipe fermented with this strain could be a great way to go. You'll still want to chill it as cold as possible before pitching but I've left saisons in a closet of my Florida, 79 degree house that turned out fantastic. Saisons are pretty popular these days; you should be able to find one to try...

I doubt your house will EVER be cool enough to keep a fermenting beer in the 60's. There are styles that are more forgiving to higher temperature ferments though. Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) is a very hearty strain that actually does better at warmer temperatures. A simple wheat beer recipe fermented with this strain could be a great way to go. You'll still want to chill it as cold as possible before pitching but I've left saisons in a closet of my Florida, 79 degree house that turned out fantastic. Saisons are pretty popular these days; you should be able to find one to try...

Yeah. It gets to 83 sometimes in July and August in the house. We keep it at 80 so the utility bills dont kill us. I have a room in the back of my house (its an add on) that is poorly insulated and is the same temp as outside in the winter. Other than that im not sure what I can do about temp besides a cooler with a thermostat but I can't spend that much right now.

I may try the saizon thing. I dont know anything about that variety.

and

Considering that you live in sort of a college town, you're in a good market to shop Craigslist for a used fridge or freezer. With a bit of negotiation (and ready cash), if you are patient you can get something for around $50-70. Put together a controller outlet box using an STC-1000 digital control ($19 on Amazon), plug the fridge/freezer in, and you have it made.

Here are some threads and a video if you're interested -

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Last edited by a moderator:
henkelbrau said:
Yeah. It gets to 83 sometimes in July and August in the house. We keep it at 80 so the utility bills dont kill us. I have a room in the back of my house (its an add on) that is poorly insulated and is the same temp as outside in the winter. Other than that im not sure what I can do about temp besides a cooler with a thermostat but I can't spend that much right now.

I may try the saizon thing. I dont know anything about that variety.

Get a cheap half bucket from Walmart and a few 2 liter bottles. Freeze the water filled 2 liters and keep on or two floating in the water with you fermenter. Just swap em out each day as needed. That'll do ya til you can swing an extra fridge.
Saisons are great though. Try a few out and see if you like em...

Does the frozen 2 liter method produce significant cooling? Also, do i just set the better bottle right in the water in the tub?

I was reading about saizons and someone said something about a black pepper like flavor. That seems odd. Does anyone know of a saizon I can get commercially to try out?

Does the frozen 2 liter method produce significant cooling? Also, do i just set the better bottle right in the water in the tub?

I was reading about saizons and someone said something about a black pepper like flavor. That seems odd. Does anyone know of a saizon I can get commercially to try out?

Saison Dupont is an excellent representative of the style, an import from Belgium. Jack D'Or Pretty Things is very good, but that is made up here in Massachusetts and I doubt it is available in Texas.

I made the chocolate milk stout. Its not to hard. Just follow the directions. It is very much a coffee drinkers beer.

A very easy quick beer for beginers is an irish red. Its hard to screw up.

henkelbrau said:

Yes and yes. Just check on it a few times a day and swap out the bottles as necessary...

henkelbrau said:

Some perceive saisons as "peppery", but I find the just a bit dry and spicy. When they are balanced well with some maltiness they can be fantastic. It's NOT like drinking black pepper flavored beer, trust me...

No worries. My father-in-law is gonna lend me a chest freezer hes not using and im going to build a temp controller as previously suggested.

No worries. My father-in-law is gonna lend me a chest freezer hes not using and im going to build a temp controller as previously suggested.

That's outstanding. You're really going to like that sort of setup, especially during our hot Texas summer, the "not so oppressively hot but still quite warm" Texas fall, the sometimes decently cool Texas winter and the "now it's getting pretty stinkin' warm again" Texas spring.:D

Once you have this in place, you will be in control of what yeast you want to use and can use it at the optimal temperature. I like to use the controller to do a stepped-up ferment. Pitch and start at the low end of the optimal range for the yeast being used, keep it there 4-5 days and then slowly allow the temp to come up over a few days to let it finish up closer to the high end of optimal. After fermentation is done, leave the beer in the chest freezer and simply set the controller for 2*C to "cold crash" your beer for 5 days before bottling for some nice, clear brew.

Here's the link to the one on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Stc-1000/dp/B008KVCPH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377486296&sr=8-1&keywords=stc-1000

The STC-1000 is a dual temperature controller. One (cool) outlet is for the freezer/fridge. Into the other (warm) outlet, you plug some kind of small heater and then put that heater inside the freezer. Unless you have the chest freezer in the garage during winter, you'll likely just use the cool outlet, but no heat source.

Set the target temp (in Celsius) on the STC-1000. Set the tolerance (default is +/-0.5*C). When the temp (as read by the sensor) climbs 0.5*C above the target, it powers up the cool outlet and keeps it energized until the temp drops to the target and then turns it off. Likewise with the warm outlet if it gets 0.5*C too cool. You tape the sensor on the side of the fermenter and place some kind of insulation like bubble wrap over top of it so that it reads the bucket temp and not the air.

Be aware that it has a compressor protection circuit to keep your freezer from "short-cycling". When you first set the temp (in Celsius) and lock that setting in, the little red light will flash, but the freezer won't kick on. Don't panic. After several minutes, it will send power to the "cool" outlet and power up your freezer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back