First bottle of fruit wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenpachi Z

Reaction score
Ive been making mead for a little while now and i had from fruit juice left over from a batch i was working on so i decided to make some country apple wine out of it ....my question is based on things im reading ...i don't degas like i do mead it says to only do it when primary is done is that true ? Also what do i need to do during primary like any nutrients or anything like that ? And what do i need to know about secondary ?

What are you starting with and what is your intent? My 6-1/2% abv cider gets one nutrient addition at pitch, with no degassing. If I were to add sugar to make it wine I would follow a wine protocol.

I added black tea and raisins at pitch ...its mostly fresh pressed apple juice mix of honey crisp and granny smiths , 1 lbs. Or a tiny bit over maybe.. pure cane sugar and lemon juice for acidity and a little spring water to back fill and i used lavlen d47 yeast it has a lot of activity so far and i haven't degassed it at all ....but do you have a wine protocol you can suggest i read i keep only finding bits and pieces ?

Back